Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my bike and i got excellent offer on new bike.

I'm 183 cm.

Currently i have Cube LTD SL 2016 - 19' frame with 29er wheels.
https://www.cube.eu/en/products/mtb-hardtail/ltd/cube-ltd-sl-2x-blackline-2016/

Looking at Cube Reaction C:62 PRO 2018 - 19' frame with 29er wheels.
https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/m...action/cube-reaction-c62-pro-carbonnred-2018/

I want to upgrade because of the boost standards and + carbon frame.

My question is should i go with 19' frame with 425mm reach (+16mm from old) or i should look for something else with bigger reach.
I feel like my current bike is a little bit short, i don't know if 16mm reach is going to change something. I feel comfortable on my bike and i don't feel any pain after long rides.

This is my riding position on my current bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
To me, it look's small... but, looks like you're using a phone to take the pic which has a wide angle (near fish-eye) distortion. Notice how small the 29's look? Almost look like 26's. Sooo, looks in the pic can be deceiving. Having said that, reach (top tuber) seems short (for my personal preference).

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
Americans think in terms of feet for height, so it helps for me to think of you as 6 feet tall. Is that right?

How and where are you riding this bike? For XC racing, my understanding is that a more compact fit with a short reach is preferable. For "trail riding" 425mm reach is quite short. That's a large frame with a 425mm reach, while many modern mediums have a 440-450mm reach.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Americans think in terms of feet for height, so it helps for me to think of you as 6 feet tall. Is that right?

How and where are you riding this bike? For XC racing, my understanding is that a more compact fit with a short reach is preferable. For "trail riding" 425mm reach is quite short. That's a large frame with a 425mm reach, while many modern mediums have a 440-450mm reach.
Yes, 6 feet tall.
I'm not racing and i usually ride XC trails with no jumping. There is a lot of climbing and descending.

I can also get Scott Scale 950, with lower spec drive train and better fork but also aluminium bike. The reach on this is 437.7 MM (+14mm). Overall looking at all the numbers, this is slightly larger bike, but i'm not sure if i will get advantage that i can notice.
https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/product/scott-scale-950-bike?article=269732008

·
Professional Crastinator
6,596 Posts
Looking at your picture, if your arms are less than 90 degrees from the your body, which they are, your reach might be a little short.

The longest I would go is 80-90mm on your stem. Otherwise, size up.

-F

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help ppl.

I didn't want to risk, so i got the Scott scale 950 L size. This bike is longer than my current Cube and i feel more comfortable. Hope i made the right decision. :)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OP, know you already made your decision, but here's some words to help you know you made the right choice. You definitely wanted a bike with longer reach, can't imagine how cramped a bike with only a 409mm reach would feel for someone 6ft. I'm 6'2.25" tall with long arms and legs and I can't ride anything with a reach shorter than 450mm if I want to run a stem 70mm or shorter. Enjoy your new bike, the extra room and better fit should help you loads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To me, it look's small... but, looks like you're using a phone to take the pic which has a wide angle (near fish-eye) distortion. Notice how small the 29's look? Almost look like 26's. Sooo, looks in the pic can be deceiving. Having said that, reach (top tuber) seems short (for my personal preference).
OP, know you already made your decision, but here's some words to help you know you made the right choice. You definitely wanted a bike with longer reach, can't imagine how cramped a bike with only a 409mm reach would feel for someone 6ft. I'm 6'2.25" tall with long arms and legs and I can't ride anything with a reach shorter than 450mm if I want to run a stem 70mm or shorter. Enjoy your new bike, the extra room and better fit should help you loads.
Well on my old Cube bike i always felt like i need few cm more reach. Now on current Scott with shorter stem i feel like the bike is longer and somehow fits me better.

Also the Cube was used bike and the Scott is brand new so the warranty + smell of new bike is big +. :)

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
A recent revelation to us all is that stem size is not a good way to fit a bike. The stem is critical to handling, so if you need a very long stem to make a bike "fit," the frame is not long enough! I predict mountain bike frames coming in more sizes in the future for this reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.