Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I won't get torn a new one posting this here. I searched the forums as well as a few other websites, but did not come up with specific answers.

So, I bought a Soul Cycles Hooligan, size 17. I have very little stand over space with this frame...perhaps .5-1". However, the top tube length seems to be a good length. I currently have a 100mm stem, but I think going to a 90mm would make the overall reach pretty much spot on.

I had a 17" Stumpjumper (1997 that I built in 99) and at the time I felt like it was just a little big for me. The fact that I had a 120mm stem on it did not help. But I rode it a lot and while I felt a little stretched out I always felt I was in control of the bike. And I don't think the lack of stand over was ever an issue.

Anyways, I feel like I am pretty much between sizes. I have short legs and kind of a long torso for my height. Soul Cycles no longer makes a 15" Hooligan, and I am really digging this frame...so I am a bit torn about what to do. If I went with a 15" frame (previous version) I would need a 120mm stem to get the right reach of top tube/stem combo. And this would give me maybe 1.5" of stand over.

So my questions for y'all are:

Is stand over height/space that big a deal?
How low is too low for the saddle for XC applications?

My Height is 5ft9in
My inseam is 29.5"
My torso is: 29.92"
Arm Length is 22"

I went to wrench science and of course the answer I got was what I expected...a 16" frame would be ideal. That is not an option at this moment. Plus, if you look at a frame like the 16" On-One Scandal 26er...the effective top tube is quite a bit longer than the effective top tube length of the 17" Soul Cycles Hooligan.

Thoughts?

·
PSYCHOLUST
485 Posts
The long torso/short leg delema is fairly common. A couple of guys I ride with are built pretty much like you and unfortunately standard bike geometry isn't well suited to some people.
Smaller frames with a set-back seatpost will allow you to keep stem length resonable while maintaining standover but........ seatposts and stems used to elongate the cockpit also imbalance the bike front to back and you'll end up with a bike that steers like an ocean liner ( long stem) or a bike that wheelies on every climb (set-back post)

In my opinion, use the frame that has the proper top tube length for your torso length. Another inch of standover isn't going to save your junk when things goes wrong.
Some frames ( one example being rocky mountain) drop the rear of the top tube a couple of inches to create extra standover, but if you have a new frame already, go with geometry that makes it a great RIDE and not the geometry that makes it crash comfortably

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool...y'all are making me feel a little better about this. One difference between the stumpjumper and this bike is 80mm vs 100mm fork. But I can't every remember hitting my junk on that stumpy. I mean, when most people have to bail, its almost never straight off the seat onto the top tube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.