Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a really wet commute this morning, I tipped the front wheel up in the air, and poured a glass full of rusty colored water out of the holes in the chainstays near the rear dropouts. Is this normal? I have heard a few of you mention some type of framesaver, and I am curious where to get it and how to apply it. Any other solutions to this problem? I'd really hate for my commuter to die of internal cancer, as I am becoming very fond of it! Thanks

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
It would take a really really long time for your frame to rust out from the inside, but that said what you want is JP Weigle framesaver, which you should be able to get from your shop. Application is easy and spelled out on the can, but you'll have to strip all parts off the bike to do it.

I use it religiously, but I'm anal and keep frames for 20+ years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wd-40

Buy a can of WD-40. It was originally designed to be a water displacer (hense the WD). The tiny red applicator nozzled fits right into the frame holes and you can give it a good coating. A big can is cheap, so you can spray til your hearts content.

·
Illegal Allien
255 Posts
Realistically speaking what's the lifespan of a steel frame which has no frame saver applied?

Say you wash it with water once a month and dry it as best as possible. Sees very little muddy/wet rides.

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Use the frame saver...

good stuff. Developed and marketed by a friend of mine, Peter Weigle. He's a one-man custom frame builder. Makes mostly road and CX frames (got out of the mtb business 15 years ago) here in CT. Beauty lugged frames. Great guy.

Always better to support the little guy, yano?

B

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
He's already got rust in the tubes so frame saver wont get rid of it.
You need something like picklex or other chem based to convert the rust or etch it out.
Frame saver prevents rust, I dont think that or wd40 does anything to remove existing rust.
I've heard acid based toilet cleaners will take it out. There are a few chemicals out there for motorcycle gas tank restorations that will clean out the rust. I cant remember the names right now. I would think the rust etch would screw up the paint job so be carefull.

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
SSPIN said:
Realistically speaking what's the lifespan of a steel frame which has no frame saver applied?
I got a 71 or so steel Motobecane from my uncle. It sat out on his woodpile (direct rain exposure) for some years before I rescued it. It has substantial rust under and on the paint. I'm scared of what it looks like inside the tubes, but I commuted on it for about 9 months without any trouble.

·
Registered
452 Posts
thebronze said:
He's already got rust in the tubes so frame saver wont get rid of it.
You need something like picklex or other chem based to convert the rust or etch it out.
Frame saver prevents rust, I dont think that or wd40 does anything to remove existing rust.
I've heard acid based toilet cleaners will take it out. There are a few chemicals out there for motorcycle gas tank restorations that will clean out the rust. I cant remember the names right now. I would think the rust etch would screw up the paint job so be carefull.
I've also heard of motor oil being used. Dump some in the tubes, tip it around, let excess drain out. I used the Framesaver product on my gearie and application was easy. I guess the difference between the Framesaver and stuff like WD40 is the Framesaver foams up to really coat all of the tube.

I doubt a steel frame that is cared for and stored in a garage/basement/house would ever develop enough rust to be a concern.

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
I went and scouted out a solution at Loews. They have a few different products that convert rust into a phosphorous based coating. It basically starts a chemical reaction that converts the rust into some kind of black coating. They have several that are liquid based so you can soak the frame in it. I'm not sure what that would do to the paint. They also have an aerosol based product you can spray directly into the tubes.
I would suggest trying to remove the rust first by using some sort of cleaner. Loews also had a few cleaners designed to remove rust stains from toiltes and steel pipes. I guess if your going to repaint the frame this would be a great option. Just fill a big tupperware sweater box with the stuff and let the frame sit in it overnight. I dont know what it would do to the paint.
I've been using weigles frame saver for a few years and it definitely works to save the inside of the tubes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.