Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Beware of Doggerel
Joined
·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find someone who does frame repair/building. I just bought a road bike from a buddy back east, the fork is damaged (not from a crash or anything like that) I think it may need a new steerer tube, not really sure what the damage is but I need someone who can evaluate it and if possible repair the fork any suggestions for local folks (Anchorage) who do this, it is a steel fork.

Thanks
Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
I do not know of anyone locally.

Adam said:
I need to find someone who does frame repair/building. I just bought a road bike from a buddy back east, the fork is damaged (not from a crash or anything like that) I think it may need a new steerer tube, not really sure what the damage is but I need someone who can evaluate it and if possible repair the fork any suggestions for local folks (Anchorage) who do this, it is a steel fork.

Thanks
Adam
No one that I know of here does frame repairs, but you may try calling Pat Irwin at Pat's Bikes of the Bicycle Department to see what they say. The shop I am at does not know of anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
If Pat dosn't know of anyone, you might try talking to Paul at The Bike Exchange. he got a freind of his to weld the chopper fork for my '73 Varsity.. (See: signiture photo on my profile)
I'm not sure if he could replace a steerer tube, but it might be worth the trip to ask, if you havn't allready been there.
He's got all kinds of cool older bikes.. a bunch of Stingrays & cruisers..
I've seen a couple of custum welded clunker frames.
homemade tandems, recumbants & pushbikes..

His shop is on Barrow or Cordova (I think), between Northern Lights & Fireweed, in a dark red building below a karate school.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Adam, scroll down this alaska forum a few posts and....

Adam said:
I need to find someone who does frame repair/building. I just bought a road bike from a buddy back east, the fork is damaged (not from a crash or anything like that) I think it may need a new steerer tube, not really sure what the damage is but I need someone who can evaluate it and if possible repair the fork any suggestions for local folks (Anchorage) who do this, it is a steel fork.

Thanks
Adam
You willl see two threads posted by Wildfire......he has a shop in Palmer and manufactures frames. Maybe he can help you out.
Good luck,
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
940 Posts
New Fork

Adam said:
I need to find someone who does frame repair/building. I just bought a road bike from a buddy back east, the fork is damaged (not from a crash or anything like that) I think it may need a new steerer tube, not really sure what the damage is but I need someone who can evaluate it and if possible repair the fork any suggestions for local folks (Anchorage) who do this, it is a steel fork.

Thanks
Adam

Adam, I'll get you a Surly road fork and beg you not to repair a damaged one. it's a chance I wouldn't recommend you take. There's too many damn lawyers ready willing and able to....oh, sorry!
Call me or stop by and we'll make the most of it. Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
Below Tanaka's school, right?

SnowMonkey said:
If Pat dosn't know of anyone, you might try talking to Paul at The Bike Exchange. he got a freind of his to weld the chopper fork for my '73 Varsity.. (See: signiture photo on my profile)
I'm not sure if he could replace a steerer tube, but it might be worth the trip to ask, if you havn't allready been there.
He's got all kinds of cool older bikes.. a bunch of Stingrays & cruisers..
I've seen a couple of custum welded clunker frames.
homemade tandems, recumbants & pushbikes..

His shop is on Barrow or Cordova (I think), between Northern Lights & Fireweed, in a dark red building below a karate school.
I forgot about Paul for that kind of source.
 

·
Beware of Doggerel
Joined
·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
patirwin said:
Adam, I'll get you a Surly road fork and beg you not to repair a damaged one. it's a chance I wouldn't recommend you take. There's too many damn lawyers ready willing and able to....oh, sorry!
Call me or stop by and we'll make the most of it. Pat
Pat, Yeah I know better, and my buddy sending me this bike has never even installed this fork becasue of the defect he told me the same thing (buy a new fork), but the fork he has been running on it goes to another bike so I need to find a new fork. The frame is a late 80's/early 90's Bianchi Reparto Corsa road frame. It is a work of art and fits me like a glove. My friend that I got the bike from was a roomate of mine (and the man who introduced me to and sold me my first 29er) so I've been riding this bike for years when I lived in NY and usually borrow it for a few weeks on my trips back east. All campy top end stuff on the frame super sweet. I want to put a nice fork on it but not carbon becuse a carbon fork on a classic like this just seems wrong. Looking for a Columbus steel fork in chrome, if possible, I'll be in cause I need some rims as well (it has tubulars at the moment).

Adam
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top