Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a nut and bolt for my rear axle. if i get a new wheel that has a qr skewer, is its ok to clamp that to the drop out? my other bikes that use qr seem to have a small groove so when the clamp is on it cant slide up or down. the nut and bolt dont seem to be in a groove, so will a qr skewer slide off? not talking about a conversion just getting a whole new wheel.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Pic would help...

Generally with QR skewers, the fork (front) dropouts have a lip on them ("lawyer's lip") to retain the wheel somewhat if the skewer gets loose. Some people file off these lips for quicker wheel changes.

The rear doesn't have that lip (I have never seen one), so if you are removing a QR skewer wheel on the front of the bike, you need to spin the lever of the skewer after loosening, but on the rear you don't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pic would help...

Generally with QR skewers, the fork (front) dropouts have a lip on them ("lawyer's lip") to retain the wheel somewhat if the skewer gets loose. Some people file off these lips for quicker wheel changes.

The rear doesn't have that lip (I have never seen one), so if you are removing a QR skewer wheel on the front of the bike, you need to spin the lever of the skewer after loosening, but on the rear you don't.

same question to both frames. i have the lip on both front forks. both rear seem to be flat and level. do i need to worry about a quick release slipping off? i never thought to look but your sure they are usually not lipped on the rear? the green frame is a mtb. the blue is a road bike. do i need to get a drop out spacer for the gap on the not drive side of the blue road bike? my miyata 100 has qr on front and back, not shown here, and it has spacers on both drop outs. the green mtb has no spacers as the axle is fitted right to the back of the drop out.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
The newer bike (blue?) has this goofy Tourney derailleur that locates the axle in the middle of the dropout, as far as I can see.

For that bike, you'll have to make sure the wheel is aligned correctly (tire is centered between the chainstays) when you tighten down the nuts.

For the other bike (green? it also looks blue to me), I would let the axle sit all the way deep in the dropout, unless there is a reason that would cause an issue.

I'm not sure what you're saying about spacer -- as long as the wheel is aligned and it's secure, everything is good. I think the blue bike is a real cheapie and the design gives the user a little leeway for correcting misalignment in the frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts