Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding a 16 inch 4500. Today at my LBS I tried out a 17.5" 6700. My first thoughts about the bike were :thumbsup: this is nice, very nice. The frame felt pretty good, but alot different than my 4500, but it felt like it was kinda big, if that makes any sense. I'm 5' 8" about 170 lbs. I know that I need to try a 15.5" and I am going as soon as I can, but could the 15.5" be more closer to the size frame that I need? Or will it probably just take a little getting use to the different geometry? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ride the 15.5" and get a comparison to what actually feels better. I just went through the same process and went with the 15.5" over the 17.5". Every shop I went to was trying to sell me the 17.5" or a different model than what I wanted, except for one. Guess who got the sale?

I assume that with the economy taking a downturn, shops just want to move merchandise. If you want a 15.5" 6700, then don't let them talk you into a 17.5" 6700. Advocate for yourself and what you want. The last shop I went into, I was really there just to test the size, and to see if they would help me. The manager was cool and was happy to let me test the 15.5 and to order me the bike I wanted. He even took less money down just to get the ball rolling. I am happy to be doing business with this shop. It took numerous other bad experiences to get to this one good one. If they won't help you get what you want, find someone who will.

·
Registered
388 Posts
LynrydSkynyrd said:
I am currently riding a 16 inch 4500. Today at my LBS I tried out a 17.5" 6700. My first thoughts about the bike were :thumbsup: this is nice, very nice. The frame felt pretty good, but alot different than my 4500, but it felt like it was kinda big, if that makes any sense. I'm 5' 8" about 170 lbs. I know that I need to try a 15.5" and I am going as soon as I can, but could the 15.5" be more closer to the size frame that I need? Or will it probably just take a little getting use to the different geometry? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
i think 5'8" might be pushing it on a 15.5" frame. definitely take the time to test the 15.5 and 17.5 side by side. make sure each bike is set at the proper seat height when you test. go back a couple of times if you need to and don't rush your decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.