Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tin Man
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the Spider frame is out for powder coat I want look at other options for frame protection. These are the down tube and chain stay pieces that came with the frame. They look like synthetic leather. Is there something better in the aftermarket?

frame protection.jpg

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Something that I have been looking at lately is Shelter Tape, which is similar to helicopter tape but more impact resistant apparently. Vikb showed me this stuff.
Other option is that you can do your own hard protector like that with Kydex, there is a thread over on Pinkbike that shows how a guy just basically heated a sheet of Kydex in his oven then just laid it over the part that needed the protection and let it mold and cool on its own.

EDIT: found the article, see link

·
Tin Man
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since Kydex is hard I think the chain will make noise when contacting it so I won't use it on the chain stay. However, I think it will be perfect for the downtube. The piece for the spider will be simpler than the on pictured. I purchased a sheet of .080 on ebay. Thanks for the tip. -ted

zytek 1.jpg

·
Registered
666 Posts
How does that guard stay attached to the downtube? Do you use two sided tape, or does it stay in place because it is Moldau to the bike frame?

·
Tin Man
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Kydex guard will "snap" on so not much is needed to secure it. I plan on using thin 2 sided carpet tape (not the foam stuff).

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,424 Posts
I use Helicopter Tape now. I need to read about Shelter Tape.... Thanks.
There are two different varieties. One has Shelter written all over it. The other one does not. You may wish to ensure you are getting the latter, especially if you order online.

I just bought a bunch with the shitty Shelter logo all over it, that I am returning.

·
Registered
744 Posts
There are two different varieties. One has Shelter written all over it. The other one does not. You may wish to ensure you are getting the latter, especially if you order online.

I just bought a bunch with the shitty Shelter logo all over it, that I am returning.
Yeah, I wouldn’t want the one with the logo all over it. Thanks.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts

Where did you buy said version with the logo on it?

·
Live Free & Ride
1,575 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Since Kydex is hard I think the chain will make noise when contacting it so I won't use it on the chain stay. However, I think it will be perfect for the downtube. The piece for the spider will be simpler than the on pictured. I purchased a sheet of .080 on ebay. Thanks for the tip. -ted

View attachment 1240092

That looks super clean. What thickness did you use? How did you press it onto the frame to get the shape? Seems difficult because there is so much area to press.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have used Lizards Skins Frame Protection and it works well for the downtube. Also, I have used Gorilla Grip Tape or Helicopter tape on the frame but it leaves so much adhesive residue that is difficult to remove. I am going to try car vinyl clear bra sheets this time around to see how well that works.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
That looks super clean. What thickness did you use? How did you press it onto the frame to get the shape? Seems difficult because there is so much area to press.
If you read the pinkbike link the guy uses .08" thickness kydex. Basically with kydex, once it heats to over 200*F it becomes pliable. The OP in the PB thread heated it in his oven so the sheet became somewhat floppy then placed over the frame letting it fall and mold itself to the bike. Probably used a heat gun to warm it up and do further pressing into areas to get it to make the more complex bends.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If you read the pinkbike link the guy uses .08" thickness kydex. Basically with kydex, once it heats to over 200*F it becomes pliable. The OP in the PB thread heated it in his oven so the sheet became somewhat floppy then placed over the frame letting it fall and mold itself to the bike. Probably used a heat gun to warm it up and do further pressing into areas to get it to make the more complex bends.
Thanks. I didn't see that link because I didn't read the entire thread. Lol.

·
Tin Man
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Kydex sheets arrived yesterday. I will be using the procedure gregn described to work it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I made a kydex protector and it works a treat. I also use All Mountain Style frame skin elsewhere and it's been the best of many I've tried over the years, not cheap though.

·
Registered
992 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts