Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently built my 1st wheelset with parts from noblwheels.com and the co-owner Trevor's, incredible help.

Beautiful and light carbon hoops BUT when I put them on the bike, looks like the frame is tweaked. Since its a HT, this should be easy to figger out so I'm looking for your PERSONAL experience with this.

With the thru-axle seated nicely into the dropouts and the distance equal at the chainstays (as measured from tire to chainstay), the distance is off 1/4" at the seat stays, the left being a larger gap. I'm measuring stay-to-tire since the tires are even all the way around the nearly perfectly true rims.

So since this bike has a rather "special" chain adjustment system, thought maybe someone with this bike might have an idea of a weak point to check for. I do not jump this or abuse it, it is for building strength and endurance.

My mechanic:

no, she's not accepting new clients just now

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Looks to be a simple dish adjustment.
He says the measurement at the chain stay is equal.
So I would think that a problem with dish would be eliminated ?
No ?
I just took a look at my Stump Jumper and the seat stay distance ain't the same so this could be normal I've never noticed this before.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Interesting. So if you put a string from the far end of rear tire center, (take seat post out) seat stay, and to steer tube, is that string straight? Or there is a kink at the seat post? If all is straight, it's just how the seat stay is put together. If kinked, then you probably have seat stay alignment issue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used a dishing tool. thanks for all the thoughts, i'll try taking the stem out and do the string trick but as PaulCA916 said, he shows the same issue for the seat stays not having an equal spacing to the tire. I looked more carefully and indeed the right seat stay is not a mirror image of the left as to it's weld at the seat tube, it's farther toward center than the left seat stay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have never had a mountain bike and have not ridden a bike in years, but a few friends of mine talked me into buying a bike and going out with them. I did not want to spend the thousands of dollars that they had on a bike, but did not want to but a cheap bike that would not last, so I did some looking around and talking and went with the RockHopper this bike has my friends in amazement due to it is able to withstand the abuse I put it through trying to keep up with them. It shifts smooth and stops fast all the components work better than I expected. I would recommend this bike to anyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.