Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be warned: Long post, and there are about 3 bike shops mentioned in here: The bike shop I bought the bike from, the bike shop closest to my house, and another one that deals in specialized.

I bought a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper in the spring of 2003 from a bike shop that i normally don't use. I was after a good deal in a 27 spd hardtail with discs, and they had one that fit perfectly, so I bought it. About 2 months after I got it, it developed an issue... when a decent amount of torque is applied, the drive side of the rear wheel slips down the dropout, causing the tire on the brake side to move about 1 cm towards the chainstay, rubbing it.

I took it to the bike shop near my house rather than head to the place I bought it from. Its a trustworthy place. They said it may be because the dropout was not perfectly vertical, it was angled a bit, so could be causing it. They suggested just tightening the qr more than normal. I tried this but a month later it started again. I spoke with the orig bike shop, replaced the quick release. It helped for a bit, but it failed again.

The season ended, so we move on to 2004. The issue was still there. I went to the bike shop to ask them about it, before the season really started. By then the paint around the replaceable hanger was ground off, and the metal was a bit scratched so they said the problem was from the qr being too tight. When I tried to mention that I had seen others mention similar problems (on here and on pinkbike), the guy basically slammed internet message boards and their users. This pretty much made me hate the bike shop, and since its not the closest to my place, I haven't been back there regarding the issue.

Fustrated, I took it to another Specialized shop. they said they had not seen the issue before. They suggest putting a large washer on the outside side of the quick release, to make a larger surface area for the driveside quick release to grab on to. This helped a bit, but again the problem resurfaced. This all happened within the first month of our 6 month season here.

Not wanting to deal with this anymore, and having a bit of money in my pocket, I got a Brodie frame for cheap from the bike shop near me, stripped the Specialized, and built the brodie up. Unfortunately, it was a 16", so too small for me at 6 feet. I used it for the rest of the season.

This year, I decided to build up the rockhopper again and give it another try. Before building it up on friday, I had a friend who works a metal shop sand the paint off the dropout area, he got it smooth for me, and I built it up (note, he didn't grind the metal or anything down, just removed the paint and smoothed the scratches to make it smooth).

First ride the problem came back. Even tried a different skewer (that makes 3). I also tried a friends wheelset, to make sure it was the frame, and not my wheel/skewer, and it did the same thing.

I'm at the point where it has the be the frame. Two wheelsets and 4 different skewers, what else can it be? So the question is....

Does this sound like a warranty issue?
If so, how should I Approach the bike shop regarding this? I don't want to be jerky customer, but at the same time I don't want to listen to a spiel that all internet users talk out of their asses, and there is no problem.

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Sounds like a warranty issue to me. I would tell the bike shop where you purchased the bike that you've tried three different skewers and two wheelsets and had the same problem. Tell them whem you first noticed the problem and the steps you took to try to resolve it. If they don't do anythign for you, you should contact Specialized customer service. You may want to try posting to the forums on the Specialized web page.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It sounds like a warranty issue to me as well, it definitly sounds like something that the original bike shop should try and help you fix.

Now I think you may have gone about this wrong and the steps you have taken may make it harder to get the original place to help you out as much as they might have if you went to them first.

The bike shop may say that because you had your friend modify the piece they can't warranty that item (I think thats a logical response) you've changed the piece and they can't be sure that didn't cause the problem, even though you say the issue was there before.

What I think you should do is go to the original place and explain the issue your having. Don't go into details with what you have tried untill they give an initial response. They will probably give a suggestion (probably one that has already been tried, just say 'yes, I've tried that') I'm going to guess that its going lead to themnot having any ideas you haven't tried. If they don't offer to fix it under warranty ask them what can be done to fix it even if you have to pay for the parts or whatever (just to get an idea what needs to be replaced or done) and then take that information to Specialized customer support and see if they can offer something better.

I'm just thinking that if you try to explain everything that you have done, it will show the bike shop that they are not number one on your list. I also find that acting as if you don't know much can really help you determine if they really know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
129 Posts
sounds like something in your rear triangle is tweaker. good luck trying to prove that it came like that. my guess is they will say you musta hit something and its not covered under warranty. Thats specialized for ya...

You may be able to get the dropouts straightend/frame aligned. but aluminum doesnt like to bend and this will hurt its integrity. I say get it straightned and toss it on ebay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some good advice, thanks!
I actually found an email on specialized's website, never could before.
I sent em one, and if they don't get back to the at the end of the day I'll head to the LBS at the end of the day and talk to them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went once to the shop, they told me try a bolt-on QR and see what happens. Bought one, tried it, failed.

So I brought in the bike, with a timeline of everything I have done or had done to the bike, plus a copy of specialized's email saying for the shop to contact them.

The bike shop took the bike in, promised it for the following thurs/fri.

Thurs i called, they were going to look at it saturday, so its been sitting in the shop for a week without being looked at, and now pushed back two days. I asked why this is, and they said they'd look at it before the end of the day. I called later, they said it was good to go.

They figured the problem was the hub was a bit loose, so they tightened it all up and it "Fixed" the problem. Then they said the dropouts were a bit misaligned. I asked them if they called Specialized 3 times before they said Specialized would do nothing, and the 4th time they said yes they called them. They got a bit rude about it, I kept my calm the whole time, did not raise voice or anything.

I told them I'd be back in 15 or so, going to test it. Now at this time, it has a bolt on qr (axiom one, uses 5mm allen key), it didn't slip. I didn't have tools on me, and no bike rack for the car yet (was at a friends). So I come back in the shop, and ask to borrow an allen key.. they seemed a bit irritated I was back until I asked for the allen key... then they were surpised I was taking the wheel off, he told me "make sure to keep it real tight". Then he told me that the dropouts were not misaligned, that the other guy was wrong. I took it to a diff shop right after that, they checked... the dropouts were barely misaligned, using the park tools, they were less than a mm for sure.

So now I have a bike thats working, but
A) I have to use a bolt-on qr
B) I'm suspicious that the shop did not call specialized
C) I think the shop just rushed thru this because they were busy.

I emailed specialized regarding this whole turn of events since last I emailed them: They sent my email to the canuck warranty rep. he called me, discussed the issue with me, and they are going to inspect the frame for me. They know i sanded the paint off too, didn't care.

So far... bike shop has not been pleasent to deal with, but specialized has treated me great.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
sermeal said:
I emailed specialized regarding this whole turn of events since last I emailed them: They sent my email to the canuck warranty rep. he called me, discussed the issue with me, and they are going to inspect the frame for me. They know i sanded the paint off too, didn't care.

So far... bike shop has not been pleasent to deal with, but specialized has treated me great.
Glad you've had a positive response and hope you've learned that a deal isn't always a deal !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man.. specialized is being great, my bike shop is totally being <insert expletive noun here>'s. The spec rep told me to take bike in sunday afternoon/monday morning, tell them to call him that morning.. he'd have the bike shipped to him express, would have it for wednesday, he'd look at it, fix/replace/diagnose whats needed, then ship it back so I'd have it hopefully for friday/saturday.

The bike shop wants to wait until Tuesday to call him, as the one guy there has a better reputation with the spec rep. I tried to explain to them the spec rep is waiting on their call, I think it fell on deaf ears. I'll just have to call the rep later today I guess.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
sermeal said:
Man.. specialized is being great, my bike shop is totally being <insert expletive noun here>'s. The spec rep told me to take bike in sunday afternoon/monday morning, tell them to call him that morning.. he'd have the bike shipped to him express, would have it for wednesday, he'd look at it, fix/replace/diagnose whats needed, then ship it back so I'd have it hopefully for friday/saturday.

The bike shop wants to wait until Tuesday to call him, as the one guy there has a better reputation with the spec rep. I tried to explain to them the spec rep is waiting on their call, I think it fell on deaf ears. I'll just have to call the rep later today I guess.
SImple solution really. Go to the shop and take your cell phone, call the Specialized rep and then give the phone to whoever is dealing with it at the shop.

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
gunsworth said:
You may be able to get the dropouts straightend/frame aligned. but aluminum doesnt like to bend and this will hurt its integrity. I say get it straightned and toss it on ebay
Wow thats bad advice.. .then the person on eBay has the same problem and comes back at him... nothing like making a seller dishonest and having bad feedback...
Unless he stated i nthe description that the frame had issues and was straightened but then no one would buy it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, just under 2 weeks after the bike shop ships the frame (2 days after I drop it off, tsk tsk bike shop), I talk to the warranty rep at Specialized Canada. They are going to warranty the frame for me, so I have a nice 2k5 Rockhopper Comp frame coming for me. I gotta give two thumbs up to Specialized's warranty guys, they gave me great customer service... and I think a stumpjumper fsr or a fsrxc may get added to my stable in the next 12 months.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sounds great

Keep us updated on the progress. I've been very lucky where I live that all the LBSs I use are awesome. They would have bent over backwards to get a solution taken care of here. Plus, it's good to hear that Specialized stepped up and took control. I've heard some horror stories about their customer service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The conclusion to my story:

I now have a a nice matte silver 2005 rockhopper pro disc frame. Its around 4 lbs with headset cups and a lx square bb. Rides really nice.

Specialized treated me awesome for this whole experience, they got top notch service, and I'm sure my next bike purchase will have a specialized stumpjumper on the shortlist.

The bike shop however will no longer get any of my business, nor that of my friends.

When the frame was shipped back to them, they said it would take 4-5 days before they could build it back up( I do understand they are busy this time of year). I asked them just to do the bottom bracket and the headset so I can build it myself, as I had the whole friday off, and have all the tools and know-how to build the rest up. They charged me for it, $45, even though this is a warranty claim and all that, and considering it was 10 minutes of work, that I paid 10 bucks for each at a different shop a year ago for a different bike shop. I was pretty upset, and that was definitely the last straw.

So in conclusion.

Two thumbs up to Specialized, especially the guy at Specialized Canada's warranty department

Two thumbs down to my LBS. Luckily there are two specialized dealers in my town.

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
sermeal said:

I now have a a nice matte silver 2005 rockhopper pro disc frame. Its around 4 lbs with headset cups and a lx square bb. Rides really nice.

Specialized treated me awesome for this whole experience, they got top notch service, and I'm sure my next bike purchase will have a specialized stumpjumper on the shortlist.

The bike shop however will no longer get any of my business, nor that of my friends.

When the frame was shipped back to them, they said it would take 4-5 days before they could build it back up( I do understand they are busy this time of year). I asked them just to do the bottom bracket and the headset so I can build it myself, as I had the whole friday off, and have all the tools and know-how to build the rest up. They charged me for it, $45, even though this is a warranty claim and all that, and considering it was 10 minutes of work, that I paid 10 bucks for each at a different shop a year ago for a different bike shop. I was pretty upset, and that was definitely the last straw.

So in conclusion.

Two thumbs up to Specialized, especially the guy at Specialized Canada's warranty department

Two thumbs down to my LBS. Luckily there are two specialized dealers in my town.
Where are you from and I knnow your not suppose to mention names of LBS' but hey if you're upset and want to hurt their business, this is the way to do it... I know if Ifelt screwed by a LBS I would not hesitate to post the name... .but then again I am somewhat abit of a prik :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
its good to hear that specialized's warrenty service is that good. gives me some reasurrance since i just bought an 04 Rockhopper Comp Disc a few months ago. no problems yet, but just in case.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
wickerman1 said:
Where are you from and I knnow your not suppose to mention names of LBS' but hey if you're upset and want to hurt their business, this is the way to do it... I know if Ifelt screwed by a LBS I would not hesitate to post the name... .but then again I am somewhat abit of a prik :D
Just mention the name and location of the shop that helped. No not post the shop that was not helpful. The locals will know.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
sermeal said:

So in conclusion.

Word of mouth is a lot bigger and important than a lot of businesses think. Just let all your friends know that that bike shop is a POS and has crappy service. You pay extra for a LBS so that if you get trouble you have them to help you out, so definitely let everyone in your area know they are a waste of time. Maybe check out the Specilaized site and boards and make mention of the shop's crappy service there.

Glad that Specialized came through for you, show's that they are a good company who stand behind their products 100%.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

United Cycle is one of the few, I think two, Specialized dealers in the city. They were pretty helpful in giving me some quick advice on the issue. I also bought the cables and housing I'd need from there after I got the frame back from the other shop. I'll be going there if I get a Stumpjumper or a FSR XC next year.

Otherwise, Western Cycle and Hardcore bikes will get my business... they've always treated me good... my first real mtn bike was from Western, and I get most of my parts, and service that I can't do through Hardcore

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.