Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Frame polish - What to get???

Hi, I'm just wondering what types of polish are there that you can use on your frame, that really bring it to a nice high luster shiney finish? I've heard of only the Pedro's Bike Lust stuff specifically for frames. I'm looking for something specifically for polishing, not a 3-in-1 cleaner degreaser shine kind of thing.

I've also heard a few people using Motorcycle polish, not the kind for chrome polishing, but for the main frame and gas tank area that works really great, but couldn't remember what brand it was.

I just didn't know if the Pedro's stuff works pretty good, and gives the frame a good healthy shiney polish, or if it's just a "frame just cleaned real good" look, hopefully you know what i'm talking about.

I guess some recommendations to different products, and experiences with them would be great. Thanks a lot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
I use the LUST product on my painted frames and that works fine for them.

My Titus is a polished frame. When I got it home, I had parked it by my other bike. Well, the brake handle was touching it and left some scratches on the top tube. I was sick to say the least. My neighbor is a hugh Harley type guy who's bike can be heard a mile away. So I asked him what he would recommend and told me of "Mothers" polish. Can pick it up at most autoparts stores like Advance. I tried it (after calling Titus to make sure it wouldn't hurt the frame) and it worked GREAT. I plan to shine it up once a yr w/ this stuff.

my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,993 Posts
crashedandburned said:
I use the LUST product on my painted frames and that works fine for them.

My Titus is a polished frame. When I got it home, I had parked it by my other bike. Well, the brake handle was touching it and left some scratches on the top tube. I was sick to say the least. My neighbor is a hugh Harley type guy who's bike can be heard a mile away. So I asked him what he would recommend and told me of "Mothers" polish. Can pick it up at most autoparts stores like Advance. I tried it (after calling Titus to make sure it wouldn't hurt the frame) and it worked GREAT. I plan to shine it up once a yr w/ this stuff.

my 2 cents.
I haven't used it on bike parts, but you got another loyal Mother's guy here. I've used it on rims, intake manifold's, tailpipe's etc and it's worked great. My boss used it on his $50K hot rod after I mentioned it and now swear's by it, too.

IF I had something to polish on my bike's I wouldn't bother trying anything else. I'd just cut-to-the-chase and buy the good stuff. ;) Why waste elbow-grease.
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Pledge

You're putting too much thought in to polishing a mountain bike. Pledge furniture polish works fine, as does any car wax. Or any high dollar specific bike polish/wax.

The only thing I clean on my bikes are the drive trains. Everything else is a waste of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crashedandburned, the "Mother's Polish" stuff, I looked for it on google and found a a bunch of "Mag & Aluminum" polish's and a few chrome ones. Which did you use for the frame? Are they all a rub-on wax, or are some of them a spray?

Any other recommendations would be great, or more experiences with the Pedro's Bike Lust.
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
For bare aluminum there is the Mothers, Simichrome, Cap Cod (cotton sheets) all good. For paint, powder coat, anodized finish Motul Shine N Go silicone clean leaves a nice wet look. General purpose Honda spray cleaner & polish :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
RE: - crashedandburned

crashedandburned, the "Mother's Polish" stuff, I looked for it on google and found a bunch of "Mag & Aluminum" polish's and a few chrome ones, but nothing else really. Which did you use for the frame? Are they all a rub-on wax, or are some of them a spray?

Any other recommendations would be great, or more experiences with the Pedro's Bike Lust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,382 Posts
Pedro's Bike Lust is basically just a silicon spray, not really a polish. Makes things shiny and sheds water, but you're nto removing any fine layers of paint. :)
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
BottomFeeder said:
Any more recommendations, other products, etc. would be great. :cool:
You really need to learn how to read :)
For bare aluminum there is the Mothers, Simichrome, Cap Cod (cotton sheets) all good. For paint, powder coat, anodized finish Motul Shine N Go silicone clean leaves a nice wet look. General purpose Honda spray cleaner & polish :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
dogonfr said:
You really need to learn how to read :)
For bare aluminum there is the Mothers, Simichrome, Cap Cod (cotton sheets) all good. For paint, powder coat, anodized finish Motul Shine N Go silicone clean leaves a nice wet look. General purpose Honda spray cleaner & polish :D
I'm just asking for other people's experiences with different products, other than the ones mentioned already. I don't think sarcasm is needed, as I'm simply asking for more people's input...
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
BottomFeeder said:
I'm just asking for other people's experiences with different products, other than the ones mentioned already. I don't think sarcasm is needed, as I'm simply asking for more people's input...
I'm sorry bad habbit of mine, what happens when you get old & bitter, next reply of mine you see beat me up i'll be ok :D.
I think this winter thing is bad on the humor button ;).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
BottomFeeder said:
crashedandburned, the "Mother's Polish" stuff, I looked for it on google and found a a bunch of "Mag & Aluminum" polish's and a few chrome ones. Which did you use for the frame? Are they all a rub-on wax, or are some of them a spray?

Any other recommendations would be great, or more experiences with the Pedro's Bike Lust.
I used the Aluminum Mothers. It's a Wax on, Wax off type stuff. Use a fine cloth. When you rub it on it turns black. Don't fret. That's normal. Then you rub off for a mirror polish. Good luck!
 

·
CNC Dude
Joined
·
97 Posts
already been said, but...

PLEDGE (TM)

Cheap, easy to get, works instantly without buffing - you're gonna and up with little white deposits in every little weld crevice and inaccessible area with that other stuff. Take it from an old bike mechanic/shop owner...

PLEDGE (TM)
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Again, why?

Tarekith said:
An old, soft toothbrush will get those little white deposits out of hard to access cracks, take it from an old car detailer :)
Why would you want to spend that much time detailing a mountain bike? It's a mountain bike, not a show car.

I still don't understand people's compulsion to polish and shine a tool that is used in the woods. Keeping it clean, sure. Keeping the drive train cleaned and lubed, absolutely. But buying polish and waxing on and off? Why? It seems like a waste of time to me. Time that would be better spent riding your bike.
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
shopvet said:
PLEDGE (TM)
Cheap, easy to get, works instantly without buffing - you're gonna and up with little white deposits in every little weld crevice and inaccessible area with that other stuff. Take it from an old bike mechanic/shop owner...
PLEDGE (TM)
Used to use the same thing till this Honda Polish came out. Go by a Honda moto dealer in the service & ask what they use to whipe the bikes down. It does'nt leave any residue, ya it does cost more then Pledge, yes it does smell good also just not lemon :D.
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
Ken in KC said:
Why would you want to spend that much time detailing a mountain bike? It's a mountain bike, not a show car.
I still don't understand people's compulsion to polish and shine a tool that is used in the woods. Keeping it clean, sure. Keeping the drive train cleaned and lubed, absolutely. But buying polish and waxing on and off? Why? It seems like a waste of time to me. Time that would be better spent riding your bike.
The wax & polish help to keep the dust & mud from clinging too tight & tend to clean off easier. Yes Pam is great for mud but messy to clean. Bare aluminum frames if not maintained will etch, get like veins running all over. Every one needs to do something in there spare :confused: time.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top