Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions of places I can have my frame clear coat re-done. The matte finish has started to flake off on my new Epic HT, I had the LBS put in a claim with Specialized, but I want to prepare for their not covering it, or offering something in a color I don't want (this one is the color shifting S-Works chameleon). I would prefer someone in the Northeast, but I am thankful for any recommendations.

FTR, no I would rather not "just deal with it, it's a MTB" or "slap a sticker on it and call it a day." 馃お

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So your wanting just the clear redone? That is not an easy task. If the clear is flaking, it needs to be removed, its is damn near impossible to remove 2-3 mils of clear, without cutting into the base paint.
That's what my no-experience brain tells me, and yet I can flickflickflick away at it with my fingernail. I realize that won't be the case through and through (I hope, lol). I'm thinking another option may be to have it sanded down lightly (and professionally) and add another coat or three so it's close, and protected. ?鈥嶁檪

Requisite pics or it didn't happen:

Registered
That's what my no-experience brain tells me, and yet I can flickflickflick away at it with my fingernail. I realize that won't be the case through and through (I hope, lol). I'm thinking another option may be to have it sanded down lightly (and professionally) and add another coat or three so it's close, and protected. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔
I'm not a "frame painter", but I sell commercial and industrial coatings for a living. I walk out on a lot of projects where guys want to just coat over bad coatings to save on cost. I walk away from those jobs and tell them to use my competitors. I won't tell anyone its okay to just add more paint. The problem is, your going to make it twice as expensive. I would not gamble the cost of paying someone to ad or coat or three over something that is going bad. The bad stuff is coming off, anything on top of it is going to come with it. Now I paid for it to be cleared, and now I still have to have it removed.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not a "frame painter", but I sell commercial and industrial coatings for a living. I walk out on a lot of projects where guys want to just coat over bad coatings to save on cost. I walk away from those jobs and tell them to use my competitors. I won't tell anyone its okay to just add more paint. The problem is, your going to make it twice as expensive. I would not gamble the cost of paying someone to ad or coat or three over something that is going bad. The bad stuff is coming off, anything on top of it is going to come with it. Now I paid for it to be cleared, and now I still have to have it removed.
Ok, that's great insight, thank you! And honestly, the paint pops so much more where the satin matte is flaking; same for when the bike is wet and glossy after a wash. So if I did recoat, I'd probably nuke the matte entirely.

Registered
I'd send the frame to Cycle Art and have them do a custom color. I paid around $350 for a custom color with a sparkle finish and decals under the coats. A local powder place can do almost the same for less.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd send the frame to Cycle Art and have them do a custom color. I paid around $350 for a custom color with a sparkle finish and decals under the coats. A local powder place can do almost the same for less.
I'm really enamored with the current color and would prefer not to change it

That鈥檚 no moon.
I contacted these guys for a quote a while back just out of curiosity, but they said they were backed up until August. But hey look, it's August. Going off their website, they paint all frame materials and any color you want basically. Don't know if they'd just do a clear coat. Located in NC.

Looking for suggestions of places I can have my frame clear coat re-done. The matte finish has started to flake off on my new Epic HT, I had the LBS put in a claim with Specialized, but I want to prepare for their not covering it, or offering something in a color I don't want (this one is the color shifting S-Works chameleon). I would prefer someone in the Northeast, but I am thankful for any recommendations.

FTR, no I would rather not "just deal with it, it's a MTB" or "slap a sticker on it and call it a day." ?

Rippin da fAt
Frankly, if I were too lazy to break out the House of Kolor, I would be in touch with Spectrum Paint and Powder Works to do the bike justice!

The pix indicate the color coat was permitted to cure too much prior to the clear coat application. That does not permit the clear to laminate with the color coat and it will let go, eventually.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I contacted these guys for a quote a while back just out of curiosity, but they said they were backed up until August. But hey look, it's August. Going off their website, they paint all frame materials and any color you want basically. Don't know if they'd just do a clear coat. Located in NC.
OK, definitely one to add to the list. Thank you!!!

Frankly, if I were too lazy to break out the House of Kolor, I would be in touch with Spectrum Paint and Powder Works to do the bike justice!

The pix indicate the color coat was permitted to cure too much prior to the clear coat application. That does not permit the clear to laminate with the color coat and it will let go, eventually.
That's....disappointing if true. So regardless of anyone being able to strip down just the clear coat, it's likely to peel again? And I know I said I really love the color, but I suppose I can get a shop to come close. Is powder coating a good option? And what do they do about decals? The ones on there now are color shifting as well.

Rippin da fAt
That's....disappointing if true. So regardless of anyone being able to strip down just the clear coat, it's likely to peel again? And I know I said I really love the color, but I suppose I can get a shop to come close. Is powder coating a good option? And what do they do about decals? The ones on there now are color shifting as well.
The same can be seen on cars with clear coat letting go.
Spectrum will do decal in paint. Powder is an option as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.