Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from a friend (an ex-BMXer....pee wee league) that CroMoly frames were the best bang for your buck when it comes to strength and price. Seems like most bikes are aluminum or some blend of aluminum and titanium. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Subjective.

polartrekker said:
I heard from a friend (an ex-BMXer....pee wee league) that CroMoly frames were the best bang for your buck when it comes to strength and price. Seems like most bikes are aluminum or some blend of aluminum and titanium. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Which frame material is "best" is highly subjective and depends on more factors than simply the material. Any current frame material can be manufactured to exhibit desirable (or undesirable) characteristics depending on the frame design, the manufacturing practices and the skill of the welder.

There is no "best" material. It all depends on what you're looking for in a bike.

Ken

·
Registered
199 Posts
i prefer steel

polartrekker said:
all my bikes are steel and i wouldnt have it any other way.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
polartrekker said:
It used to be true that cro-mo frames were the best bang for the buck. Back then almost all aluminum frames were not welded. They were luged frames. Lugs are heavy and expensive because each frame size would need diferent lugs. These days low cost lightweight welded alumium frames are commonplace. With decent steel tubesets becoming rare and limited to higher end frames alumium is today's best bang for the buck.

Although there are going to be many exceptions

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
polartrekker said:
Maybe for a BMX bike or a jumping one where you would prefer it to bend before it breaks.

Steel is/was too flexy for suspension MTB's and for some areas like the BB. You need to add more steel to the area to make it less flexy but then your weight goes up. Aluminum does this job better.

Steel is more difficult to manipulate than Aluminum as the presses, matresses and stuff used to shape it requires to be of a greater capacity as steel is more resistant than Al and requires higher temperatures at all processes (like welding, treating, etc).

That's why Al gives the bang-for-the-buck on the gross of MTB's today.

As for which is "better" is like asking if you prefer Mercedes or Ferraris....

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
That's the problem!

"Steel is more difficult to manipulate than Aluminum as the presses, matresses and stuff used to shape it requires to be of a greater capacity as steel is more resistant than Al and requires higher temperatures at all processes (like welding, treating, etc)."

I've been using a Posturpedic for shaping the tubes, no wonder I can't build a decent frame!

Walt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.