Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking the other day about duallies, and how they just don't ride like hardtails, and was wondering if it's possible to make a duallie that feels like a hardtail until you land on something . . .

Soooooo . . .

Imagine if you took out the seat tube, leaving an inch or two at the top for a small bit of seat post and an inch or two at the bottom . . .

And then, you attached your rear suspension between these two spots . . .

Could this work, or would it suck majorly?

Another thought, when I say WORK i don't neccesarily mean do the plushy springy thing, but soak up some of the bump.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a feeling that this would be just pointless, stay hardtail, or learn to love the squish, a sort of hybrid thing would be a little silly, im sure people are going to flame over this.

·
Registered
493 Posts
dont think so...

hmm, if you ever land ahrd on ur ass on the seat, buy a seat post with suspension! I doubt that will do you any good, because you usually take the impact through your legs, but if theres a good deal, try it!

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
dirtyharry said:
I was thinking the other day about duallies, and how they just don't ride like hardtails, and was wondering if it's possible to make a duallie that feels like a hardtail until you land on something . . .

Soooooo . . .

Imagine if you took out the seat tube, leaving an inch or two at the top for a small bit of seat post and an inch or two at the bottom . . .

And then, you attached your rear suspension between these two spots . . .

Could this work, or would it suck majorly?

Another thought, when I say WORK i don't neccesarily mean do the plushy springy thing, but soak up some of the bump.
you lost me with that explanation... you are saying replace the seattube with a shock? what kind of linkage would connect this, or how would the rear wheel have anything to do with the seattube? maybe you should stick with music, not that it's a bad thing, but what you are saying here isn't making much sense....

if you are looking to take a little bit of edge of from your legs, an interesting idea would be to get a frame with an American bottom-bracket shell, then instead of pressing aluminum cups, put in some highly tolerenced "cups" made out of stiff elastomer, then press some mid bearings into this. If you could get it stiff enough to keep from wobbling on pedal strokes and limit the amount of movement so the chain doesn't derail, yet still get enough shock absorption to take the edge off, it might be decent....

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not saying I want a dually or would pursue this frame idea, it was just something I was wondering . . .

yeah, I'm saying basically replace most of the seat tube with a shock. In theory that could cushion shock without squishy rear end

but in reality apparently that would work about as well as attaching a propeller to a bike and making it fly . . .

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Some bikes have seatstays that are engineered to flex and give "travel."

A well set-up shock can make a squish pedal like a hardtail. RP3 is great. Or I suppose you can just have an oversprung coil-over. Or load up pedal platform or low speed compression.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
East Coast Bender said:
wow, thats crazy, kinda seems like a bad idea
I would have to agree.

there was a thread about this bike a couple of months back... go to page 3 or something of this forum and look for "structural integrity 101"... explains kinda why that bike is like that.... :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Some bikes have seatstays that are engineered to flex and give "travel."

A well set-up shock can make a squish pedal like a hardtail. RP3 is great. Or I suppose you can just have an oversprung coil-over. Or load up pedal platform or low speed compression.
thats why I said blur 4x, cuz with myne I can put the shock at a high psi and it will feel more like a hardtail but still have that cushion

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.