Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another frame help question...

So I had my old 2007 Jabber hanging on the wall and decided to convert it into a gravel-er. I had most of the parts so it only cost me about $150 total to do it. Well, since converting it and riding gravel, I've really taken to this type of riding. So much so, that my Carbon/Ti roadie and my custom steel SS have just started to collect dust. So I'm thinking I want to retire the Jabber and my circa 2004 Lemond Tete de Course roadie and replace both with a gravel ride that I can also ride the road when I desire (I have another wheel set I can dedicate to road tires). The main reason is because on rides over 90 minutes, my hands start to get numb due to being too stretched out on the Jabber.

I'd like to just move as many parts over to it as possible so I'm looking for just a frame set. I love the ride of steel so I'm looking for a steel frame that accepts a QR (135mm) and room for at least 700x42 tires. The reason for this is because of budget concerns. This is what I have on hand. I'd love to go full Salsa Vaya but 2K or so just isn't in the budget at this time.

Any help is greatly appreciated fellow MTBR-ers!

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,788 Posts
My All-City (612 Select tubing) rides as well or better than much more expensive frames I've owned. There's a couple frames that might suit your needs from AC. I have two Nature Boys, super fun bike! The Macho Man might be right up your alley.

Soma is another one that rides really nice. I briefly had a Wolverine, Tange tubing rides really nice.

·
Registered
ya like dags?
4,986 Posts
See if you can find a Vassago Fisticuff frameset. They don't make them anymore, but it has swappable dropouts and can fit up to 45c tires. They are cheap too. Surely there are some used ones floating around.

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. As far as budget, I'm not quite sure. I don't want to blow the bank and I need to get it past the wife. I have several different size posts but prefer 27.2, that's not a deal breaker though. Threaded BB is preferred. I'm looking for a medium size. I did come across this Richey which looks to fit the bill but I can't find much info on it.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=94464&category=2595

Thanks again, I appreciate the info.

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DARN! I was really into this frame after you're suggestion until I noticed no disk with the 135mm. I really need to keep this build on a tight budget and move over everything if I can.

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Hunter is out of the range of this budget build but that is a nice looking frame.

I haven't heard much about Fairdale. I'll need to research a bit.

Right now, it appears the Soma Wolvie is right near the top.

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, a drop-bar bike. The Vassago is simply too long for drops.

I ride mostly SS but this will be gears for higher elevation stuff.

Yea, I know it's slowly going away but it's everything I have on hand. My Samsara SS is 135 but I can replace the sliders on that to convert it to 142 when I'm ready.

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. After much research, it looks like the Soma Wolverine is the perfect fit. I'm contemplating the Soma Carbon all-road gravel fork instead of steel fork since I may end up using this as a road bike replacement too.

Decisions.... decisions...

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Cat Herder
4,700 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. After much research, it looks like the Soma Wolverine is the perfect fit. I'm contemplating the Soma Carbon all-road gravel fork instead of steel fork since I may end up using this as a road bike replacement too.

Decisions.... decisions...

If you can swing it get both forks for added versatility.

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you can swing it get both forks for added versatility.
That's the plan. I have the $ now for the carbon so going that route. The steel fork is pretty cheap so I can just picked that up when needed.

Thanks all, it's been a fun process and I now know a lot more in this bike category than I ever thought I would. Looking forward to many more gravel miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.