Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05' Hot Rod Slayer, couple quetions I had to use my old XC racing fork on the front end. Only 4" of travel. It feel like I am slipping when turning. I think I know the answer but should I up to a 5 or 6" travel and recommendations whould be helpful. Also I am using a 110mm stem should I look into a shorter stem? The bike feels a little out control right now.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
It was designed around a 130mm fork so it's going to be about 1 degree steeper with a 100mm fork on it. That's getting back into XC territory, around 70 degrees. You really want a longer travel fork on it if you want more confidence in technical trails and descending. A shorter stem might help a bit in the short term, but it' s not really a fix for steep geometry. You could maybe run a bit more sag on the rear shock and try to split the difference with the headangle.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
A 160mm fork will slacken it out to about 67.5-68 degree head angle which would be similar to the new Slayer. It will also raise the bottom bracket by a half inch or so, and the BB is already pretty high with a 130mm fork.

The big question may be whether or not the frame can handle the extra leverage on the downtube and headtube welds caused by a longer fork over the long term, especially if you're doing drops and jumps.

Somewhere in the frame warranty information there may be a disclaimer saying that the frame is not warranted against failure when using a fork longer than the original design size.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Unless rocky changed the manuals to specifically cover fork travel its probably a more generic limitation that voids the warranty if the owner changes any part to something not original spec, and yes that can include if they wanna be anal, using a different brand/model seatpost to void a frame warranty. Most manufacturers have such limitations in their manuals.

Its largely done to force buyers to keep having their bikes services at dealerships, and to keep replacing parts with the exact same part they broke in the first place.

·
Registered
153 Posts
DeeEight, name a instance which Rocky voided a waranty because the customer changed their seatpost from a Race Face to....... lets say a Thompson of the same size. Your full of crap! All of my warranty concerns with Rocky were handled with nothing less then the best service possible. That is why I and others I know continue to come back to brand. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.