Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I'm getting a Turner on closeout and it's either an RFX or a 5-spot. I've done all my research and comparisons and have owned a past era RFX. The deciding factor is coming down to geometry.

I'm in Southern Utah so Gooseberry, Little Creek, etc. are a very healthy part of the ride diet but there are also those days when a good rocky Grafton shuttle is in order, or heavy doses of Brian Head in the summer. I'll jump and drop the small stuff but tend to go around the big ones.

I'm really sold on the RFX geometry but for the sake of how much pedaling I'm telling myself I'm going to do...:eek: I'm leaning towards the 5-spot and will just cope with the downhill performance. But my question is does anyone know or have experience with the geometry of a 6" fork on the 5-spot? If it slacks it out enough I think that's my bike especially with an adjustable fork I can put down to pedal.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
gots a 36 talas

on the 2008 spot... go for it ... it will handle almost anything ...

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
even though this is best answered by the sanchez gang (who all ride highlines and rfx's) ill give my thoughts. the newer rfx's pedal very well and from the little bit ive ridden there (goose and little creek) id go that way over a spot which will allow ya to run out of talent or just limit it pretty fast. i say grow into the rfx even if ya dont think ya need it yet. whats cool about it is a dual crown fork and heavy duty wheelset swap makes for a killer park bike whereas the spot wont play nearly as well on the slopes no matter what ya do. also, whats "small" & "big" in yer eyes?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
S-Works said:
It's easier to "spot-ify" the RFX than "RFX-ify" the spot.
Best post ever.

FWIW, I use my RFX for XC duties on half of my rides, and while it is a bit of a pig on the flats (not a stand and mash kind of bike), it works.

Plus it has made me a stronger rider.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
S-Works said:
It's easier to "spot-ify" the RFX than "RFX-ify" the spot.

Get the RFX.
Thanks all for the input but this hit the nail on the head. I think I will end up limited by the spot in the long run. Now let's just hope the '08 larges don't go extinct in the next two weeks. :madman:

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
dhzion said:
Thanks all for the input but this hit the nail on the head. I think I will end up limited by the spot in the long run. Now let's just hope the '08 larges don't go extinct in the next two weeks. :madman:
I thought the 08 RFX's in Large are long gone.....Mudpie had a nearly new one in the classifieds though I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts