Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Trek Fuel EX8
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I don't know exactly where to post this to get the best cross section of readers, so MODS if it's in the wrong spot, please move it. :)

OK, so a little back story (I'll be as descriptive and brief as possible).

The Bike is a 2019 Kona Honzo, and the fork is a new PIKE RCT3.

2 days ago I was riding a new skinny feature, and I over corrected and went off of it...my initial plan (after I knew I was screwed), was to just ride off of it...it was only maybe 16-18" drop down, well in my haste I didn't get enough of my body weight moved to the rear...so as you can probably guess, I stuffed the fork and went OTB (had to look funny if anyone saw it...)

I should mention that I'm a heavy rider @ 260 lbs, but I've done FAR dumber things to my old 32mm stanchion Recon forks, and they didn't bend/break, so I'm assuming the burlier PIKE 35mm stanchions are even more robust?

Now, based on the o-ring on the stanchion I didn't bottom out the fork...however I have developed a random click...maybe even a creak at times...I can't duplicate it with any consistency, sometime turning, sometimes not, sometimes over chatter sometimes not...doesn't appear brake related, and it happens sometimes when pedaling, and sometimes just coasting downhill through berms jumps etc..

At first I thought maybe it was the brakes...I'd been planning a wheel swap anyway, so I went ahead and did that (new WTB Asym rims with DT Swiss 350 hubs, and new rotors), that made zero difference.

I thought maybe the headset loosened up? So, I loosened the stem bolts, and checked the top cap tightness (preload??), it was tight, and I felt no free play in the headset.

I don't think it's a bottom bracket noise...it seems more front oriented?

Before the "accident" ;) there was no noise except maybe a bit of cable/hose flap here and there...so this noise definitely started after the incident...or it's a crazy coincidence...

Can anyone offer some other thoughts on what could make similar noises??

Thanks for reading! Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Clean everything extremely well and then look at all of the welds around the head tube, downtube junction, etc. Manhandle the saddle and check for noise if you’ve been hearing it while seated.
Brace the front wheel between your knees and torque the bars left/right. Also loosen the stem and drop the fork to see if there’s any crack near the crown/steer tube. Check handlebars under the stem cap. These are all possible areas for cracks to hide if you really did put some odd angle torque on any parts while going otb. Unlikely you cracked anything though sometimes a crack can make a clicking sound under stress.

Oh yeah, check your der hanger before doing any of the above aside from inspecting the frame for cracks.

·
Registered
2020 Trek Fuel EX8
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
**I copied/pasted this from another forum where I posted the same question...I got multiple replies over there?**

OK, so it would appear I "may" have solved the problem...and I found it totally on accident.

I got home from work tonight, and I grabbed the bike to put it up in the stand, I must have grabbed the seat just right, because I heard that elusive click...once I figured out where it was coming from, I was able to duplicate it with no trouble.

The creak was coming from the seat rail clamp...tightened the clamp up and noise gone...rode it off a few curbs and stuff, so far so good,

I can't believe it was the seat...I would have sworn it was in the head tube.

·
Registered
2020 Trek Fuel EX8
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clean everything extremely well and then look at all of the welds around the head tube, downtube junction, etc. Manhandle the saddle and check for noise if you've been hearing it while seated.
Brace the front wheel between your knees and torque the bars left/right. Also loosen the stem and drop the fork to see if there's any crack near the crown/steer tube. Check handlebars under the stem cap. These are all possible areas for cracks to hide if you really did put some odd angle torque on any parts while going otb. Unlikely you cracked anything though sometimes a crack can make a clicking sound under stress.

Oh yeah, check your der hanger before doing any of the above aside from inspecting the frame for cracks.
Thanks for the tips!!

I chased my tail quite a bit on this one LOL, but I ultimately found the culprit (see above post).

·
Rocks belong
5,371 Posts
I've had lower headset bearings creak/tick as they were on their last leg.

I've also had seat post creaks propagate through the frame and become audible in really odd places!

·
Registered
2020 Trek Fuel EX8
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had lower headset bearings creak/tick as they were on their last leg.

I've also had seat post creaks propagate through the frame and become audible in really odd places!
And that's what happened!

I would have swore it was in the headtube, but that friggen seat noise ran right through the frame....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.