Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,801 Posts
How did you transport the bike during vacation?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Looks like it's just the paint, perhaps what it would look like if you focused the sun on it with a magnifying glass. I kinda doubt that's what happened, but that's what it looks like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bikes were transported on a rack and was fine when we got there.

I noticed it after a ride and couldn't figure out what happened. My best guess was stress on the frame from riding.

Someone else has suggested its from the frame being contaminated during the powder coating process, bubbles formed and I guess then popped. Seems to make sense.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
That doesn't look like powder coating to me. No idea what "stress on the frame" means. It doesn't look like earned scars, so you may want to get out and ride the bike on more difficult trails.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The bikes were transported on a rack and was fine when we got there.

I noticed it after a ride and couldn't figure out what happened. My best guess was stress on the frame from riding.
It doesn't look like damage from stress on the frame. There's no evidence of cracking or stretching or anything that would indicate stress. It looks more like impact damage from a mechanical part, as there are multiple sets of holes equally spaced.

Someone else has suggested its from the frame being contaminated during the powder coating process, bubbles formed and I guess then popped. Seems to make sense.
Could be, I don't have the expertise to say. Is it possible those marks were there before, but you just hadn't noticed them? Either way, probably worth a call to whomever you bought it from.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Those are definitely bite marks from the chupacabra. You're lucky to be alive.
Agreed, the dentation is consistent with the dentition of an adolescent chupacabra. I know these things, I've been to a dentist.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
A few wraps of black electrical tape and you'll be good to go! ;)

My GF scratched up her new rims on the 2nd rocky ride for her new bike and was complaining about it. So I grabbed a sharpie marker and "fixed" the scratches.

It's a mountain bike. It's going to get some love marks one way or another. Either accept them as part of the process or cover them with tape or a strategically placed sticker.

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
Looks like the NDS seat tube. Zoom in. Looks eerily like the paint was melted and bubbled in those spots. Someone above mentioned heat or sunlight focused on those spots and that's exactly what it looks like to me.

I'm not, however, a metallurgist or paint expert. Or sunlight expert. I don't even work at Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
You mentioned multiple bikes on the bike rack. Did the other bike have platform pedals with pins? Those holes, spaced the way they are, look like the pedal rash scars on my shin from impacts with platforms. I think the other bike bit your bike at some point.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Those are odd marks. Both sets seem equally spaced and the perimeter of each divot looks like the paint melted. Pedal scars (flats with pins) from the other bikes on the rack is my best guess, but that doesn't explain the "melting." Could one of the pedals been near an exhaust pipe. Good news is black covers easy.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,072 Posts
Report it / share it with the manufacturer.

My wife's bike had the clear coat blistering up a few years ago. It was a 2012, the clear coat start bubbling up / blistering up in summer 2016. No biggie. It was a painted, carbon fiber frame. After the clear coat blistered, it would start to flake off.

I called and emailed photos to the manufacturer--I wanted to know if I could use nail polish or another clear coat to protect the frame. The manufacturer warrantied the frame with a new 2016 frame. Which was great....except the new frame was boost. Ah well, an excuse to upgrade wheels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.