Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quickie question for you frame guru's in the audience. I have a chance to buy an On One Inbred frame in basically new condition for around $200. The frame is V-brake only. A few days ago I posted in the thread about Jenson USA selling the sliding drop-out Inbred's for $269 which to me is great deal. Now if I include shipping I can get a new frame for around $90 more than the V-brake frame. I guess the question comes down to are the sliding dropouts ( and I suppose the ability to run gears/disc brakes in the future ) worth the extra $$.

This will be a "from the ground up" build (read: no spare parts anywhere) that will hopefully become that nice "family outings rail trail/bike path bicycle" that I've been trying to secure for the better part of the past year.

Any thoughts????

{Reading my own post it just might be cheaper to buy a complete bike directly for On-one}

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
I certainly would not buy a complete bike from Jenson....as such, as I too have thought about this, you are probably better of buying the complete bike direct from On-One or via a reputable shop who deals knows their single speed stuff.

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
between a used v=brake only frame and a sliding dropout disc/v-frame that's new for $90 more - I'd go with the nerw one. If you like SS'ing a ton and upgrade down the road to a custom fir frame - the sliding dropout frame will be easier to sell as it will appeal to both disc brake and v brake users... a wider audience. Since your just getting the frame I realize that is far away - but don't limit yourself from the start with a v only frame when you have an option. Who knows maybe the v-brake used frame will make you happy for a lifetime...

Just my 1/2 cent
FF

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
buzzy said:
the jenson frame is disc only
Guess that's what I get for not going to the Jenson site - I just went - they don;t even have a picture of it....lol....

So my corrected answer is - I'd buy the new disc only frame as that's what I run - a disc only frame.

FF

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks......

Thank you everyone for all the input. One of the main reasons I was considering the V-Brake frame is because of the fact that I have not been able to find a decent way to mount my child carrier to either of my other two bikes both of which run disc brakes. The carrier attaches to a blackburn bike rack which attaches to the chicld seat. You get the idea.... Additionally, the v-brake only frame is actually being sold by my LBS and I try to support the little guy.

Thinking through things logically, I don't think I could build up a bike spec'd as nice for the same pricepoint as the offers currently on the On-One website so the complete bike will probably be the way to go. Being a taller guy I also like the idea of this whole 29er movement so this just further adds to my confusion.

For what its worth this is not my 1st SS (owned 2 Monocog's) but this is my 1st Inbred.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.