Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a begineer question. So, i have read this and that about jumping and dropping off on a XC hardtail, and have heard this is not good. Someone once posted they are not made for leaving the ground at all.
Just wondering why then some have quite long travel forks (up to 120mm) if it isn't meant to leave the ground?
Surely they are not that fragile, are they? The bike in question is a 2005 Rainier. What is the limit this bike can do? Is 1 foot drops with a light rider going too far? Is jumping off the curb on the way to the trails over its limit?
Im just a bit confused after reading some old posts.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Go flying off the curbs and do short drops and run down stairs and jump speed bumps if you like. The bike should take that fine. Hell, road bikes can do that stuff. Anything you can do to a crap department store bike these can do.

What causes the debate are yahoos who just go out and break stuff because they don't care or have to pay for it and then write bad reviews about perfectly good products they abused.

The fact that you are concerned for it tells me you'll be okay. If you don't do anything with the bike you wouldn't do without the bike it should hold up.

Ron

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the words up Ron. i can only handle one foot drop offs anyway, and i think ill keep it at that.
i had the impression from some posts that these things were really fragile or something. didn't make sense since they are off road bikes.
guess it all comes down to the 'yahoos' factor

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quality manufactured XC bikes are pretty tough considering. I have an '04 Stumpy HT I use for light to moderate trail and I take it off 18-24" drops at least once a ride. The frame and components have held up well. Its more HOW you ride as opposed to where you ride. If you know how to find the flow and are a good rider you can get the bike to do a lot more with a lot less stress. As for the rest of us... ;)

Basically as long as you don't take the bike off of a 5' drop or land your 1' drops poorly you'll do alright.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i have a trek 6700 which is an super light racing frame and it has taken some nice abuse, no dents or crack or anything, im reele gald how it has held up , so i woudl say SOME XC bikes can take a beating, not all tho

·
Registered
192 Posts
Skill is more important than bike strength. How you land, take off, and ride will determine how long the bike will last. When was the last time any bike maker said that they were getting out of hardtail manufacturing because full suspension bikes are indestructable?! You won't because it's absurd. FS bikes are just as likely to break as HTs. In fact, it has been my experience that FSs require far more attention than HTs do, so that they don't break. I rode HTs for years, and then got an entry level FS. It wasn't the jump I thought it would be. Of course, technology has been generous to FS recently with the newer style rear shocks, but HTs have always been a mainstay for XC racing. I think there seems to be more of a fashion issue than a bike ride/quality issue with todays newer riders. Get something you like, that fits your budget and personality, and ride!! Good luck!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Like others have said "Skill is more important than bike strength" ...Tru dat.

Ive got a 2000 Kona hardtail with an 80mm fork that Ive been riding hard for the last two years or so. I do 3ft drops to flat concrete frequently with no problems...Sometimes four footers with a transition...Im only 140lbs (150 with gear). The thing is my bike handling skills have gotten steadly better over time. When I first started doing more agressive stuff, I would be so unkind to my poor bike...nasty landings, slapping the front end down with very little fork compression and the like. But after a while I began to understand the physics involved and get a feel for what my bike (and skill) level could do.

However, I am on my 3rd wheelset, 4th BB (just snapped #3 last week), 2nd handle bar (first one snapped while pulling up for a wheelie), 3rd chainring set and 3rd saddle. Frame is still good though...So I guess skill can take you only so far, before you reach that point where the equipment just wasn't designed for what your doing.

peace

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.