Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Jamin, Applesause, No?
Joined
·
708 Posts
What the heck does Battlestar Galactica have to do with MTBing?
Also check out Fire Fly if you like sci fi and westerns. I really liked the series and it is short enough to get through in a weekend. Free on Hulu.
 

·
pronounced may-duh
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Senor StrongBad said:
I will be adding some furring strips and some Drywall to it So I will need to have enough room for a box to go into. I will connect the wires through the inside wall.
An angle grinder and a diamond blade is probably your best bet. But if you remove too much wall the bricks above will be unsupported and eventually fall down.

Why not just build the sheetrock wall out with 2x4 studs and run the wires and boxes between the studs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Senor StrongBad said:
So is this the off topic thread?

If so..... What is the best tool to use when cutting through a Brick wall to add some power outlets and speaker conections?
WOW, am I glad I sumbled onto this thread. I have a plumbing project coming up and am headed to Home Depot tomorrow. What should I put on the threads of galvanized pipe before screwing it together? Someone told me Teflon tape but that's what I use to floss my teeth so they have to be pulling my leg. :eek:

And speaking of teeth, am I supposed to brush up-and-down or side-to-side? I keep forgetting (the older you get the more often that happens). Just wait, you'll see :D :D :D .
 

·
pronounced may-duh
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stumpbumper said:
WOW, am I glad I sumbled onto this thread. I have a plumbing project coming up and am headed to Home Depot tomorrow. What should I put on the threads of galvanized pipe before screwing it together? Someone told me Teflon tape but that's what I use to floss my teeth so they have to be pulling my leg. :eek:

And speaking of teeth, am I supposed to brush up-and-down or side-to-side? I keep forgetting (the older you get the more often that happens. Just wait and see :D :D :D .
I don't recommend using galvanized pipe for water. It's cheap crap that does not hold up long term. Copper is the way to go. But If you must use steel, Teflon tape is good for threads. Pipe dope is even better.

Tooth brushing is a personal decision. Your on your own for that one.
 

·
Jamin, Applesause, No?
Joined
·
708 Posts
Maida7 said:
An angle grinder and a diamond blade is probably your best bet. But if you remove too much wall the bricks above will be unsupported and eventually fall down.

Why not just build the sheetrock wall out with 2x4 studs and run the wires and boxes between the studs?
I would like to keep the wall as thin as possible so that it does not stick out to far past the door frame. But I have been thinking about a 2x4 wall becuase of the extra space it will allow me to put sound absorbing material in.

If I did cut the brick and inserted a 2x4 to support the brick above woudl that work?
 

·
Jamin, Applesause, No?
Joined
·
708 Posts
stumpbumper said:
WOW, am I glad I sumbled onto this thread. I have a plumbing project coming up and am headed to Home Depot tomorrow. What should I put on the threads of galvanized pipe before screwing it together? Someone told me Teflon tape but that's what I use to floss my teeth so they have to be pulling my leg. :eek:

And speaking of teeth, am I supposed to brush up-and-down or side-to-side? I keep forgetting (the older you get the more often that happens). Just wait, you'll see :D :D :D .
I second the pipe dope. It is thicker and easier to work with in my opinion. Just have a rag to wipe the extra off with. And do not use the pipe dope for teeth brushing.
 

·
pronounced may-duh
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Senor StrongBad said:
I would like to keep the wall as thin as possible so that it does not stick out to far past the door frame. But I have been thinking about a 2x4 wall becuase of the extra space it will allow me to put sound absorbing material in.

If I did cut the brick and inserted a 2x4 to support the brick above woudl that work?
In my experience, sound absorbing material does not work very well. To effectively buffer sound you'd need to build a wall that did not touch the brick wall. Any point of contact will transmit the vibrations thru the wall.

For supporting the hole. It all depends on how big the hole is. If you were cutting a window or a door opening then I'd suggest installing angle iron to span the opening. If your making a tiny hole then it may not any support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Senor StrongBad said:
I second the pipe dope. It is thicker and easier to work with in my opinion. Just have a rag to wipe the extra off with. And do not use the pipe dope for teeth brushing.
Holy smoke! More useful info than I had dreamed of. Is there any way we can get this thead stuck up top so it will never die?

Next question---What do I do with thse little nuggets I scoop from our cat's litter box? Flush down commode? Wife's flower garden? Pitch out into woods? Package and mail to the fellow who dropped me a few weeks back at Southside? Probably won't, though, because he was kind enough to stop and wait occasionally. (Maybe that's why he stopped posting rides)

And can someone update me on how the potty trainig is progressing (or not) for that MTBR from Sparkle City (or wherever it was he claimed to be from)? :eekster:
 

·
pronounced may-duh
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stumpbumper said:
Holy smoke! More useful info than I had dreamed of. Is there any way we can get this thead stuck up top so it will never die?

Next question---What do I do with thse little nuggets I scoop from our cat's litter box? Flush down commode? Wife's flower garden? Pitch out into woods? Package and mail to the fellow who dropped me a few weeks back at Southside? Probably won't, though, because he was kind enough to stop and wait occasionally. (Maybe that's why he stopped posting rides)

And can someone update me on how the potty trainig is progressing (or not) for that fellow from Sparkle City (or wherever it was he claimed to be from)? :eekster:
you seem to have a fascination with poop. hmmm
 

·
Jamin, Applesause, No?
Joined
·
708 Posts
stumpbumper said:
Holy smoke! More useful info than I had dreamed of. Is there any way we can get this thead stuck up top so it will never die?

Next question---What do I do with thse little nuggets I scoop from our cat's litter box? Flush down commode? Wife's flower garden? Pitch out into woods? Package and mail to the fellow who dropped me a few weeks back at Southside? Probably won't, though, because he was kind enough to stop and wait occasionally. (Maybe that's why he stopped posting rides)

And can someone update me on how the potty trainig is progressing (or not) for that MTBR from Sparkle City (or wherever it was he claimed to be from)? :eekster:
:D - Stump you actually did a great job riding. You kept the color in your face the entire time and never wanted to fall to the ground and die. I will definatly keep posting up rides, but will wait to do so more in the summer when I can afford to ride for more fun then for a work out. Keep us posted on your rides though, I will try to drop in on one sometime.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top