Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have found that I'm more of a freeride guy than an XC guy, and downhilling looks fun, so I'm saving up for a new bike. I do have a TON more singletrack around me and not much downhill or freeride.

So I'm looking for a bike that can handle freeride all day long, but still go out on the trails, climb some hills, and go downhilling. I'm not too worried about weight, as I have pretty strong legs (I used to ride one of those huge, 50lb department store Mongoose's that look like heavy duty DH bikes, and that wasn't too bad). The only thing holding me back is my breathing, so I think I can handle something 40 lbs. My GF Marlin weighs about 33lbs according to a grocery store scale ( I can easily lose that seven pounds and more to make up the difference).

Price, well I don't really have a budget, but I do work at a minumum wage job and only get scheduled two days a week (btw, I'm in highschool), so I want to be able to have it and test it out at Rays this winter before taking it for it's real test next summer. I'm hoping to spend around $2000.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
theres tons of good bikes out there.

Nomad
Reign X
Quake
7point
SXT
Bullit
ASX
VPFree
Uzzi

Get something in the 66-68 degree HA, 14+ BB, and that you can afford. Buy used at that price for sure. 6-7 inches of travel works pretty well as a trail bike turned DH bike for the weekend - its fairly common to see SXT's, Reign X's, etc and so on at the lifts

·
Registered
875 Posts
1. I highly doubt you will find any new complete Intense bike for $2000.
2. If money were no object, I concur with Goblin on the SS. That's one sweet bike.

You also might look at the Transition Preston FR as well. You could get a new frame for just under $1300, then find used components and put on it.

Chumba Evo is another good choice (you'd have to do the same as the Preston FR, by buying a frame).
2006-2007 Rocky Mountain Slayer. It's listed as an A/M bike but it has a healthy 6" of travel. My 5" 2003 Edge has withstood everything I've thrown at it over the past two years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Building sounds like a good option for me. That way I can put exactly what I want on, and I might be able to stretch my budget more (at least I can look at the frame if I can't ride it).

The Transition Dirtbag seems to be a nice fit, what do you guys think?

What are some good websites to look at for frames?

Thanks.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Lots of guys out here ride Dirtbags, that's a great heavy duty bike for not too much $$. The Preston is a better option for pedalling but not quite as stout (less travel but less weight). Kona also has complete bikes in your price range.

·
Registered
457 Posts
carbuncle said:
Norco Shore 3 or one of the Six series is worth a look, too.
yep. I ride pretty much everything other then urban on my 08 shore. It's a great frame. Very balanced bike, easy to manuel, take hits great too. The frame it light so can be built sub 40 easy.

G

·
Transition Dirtbag

I just got done with a session at my local XC spot on my Dirtbag. It's a faily inexpensive bike that can be pedaled. I recently took it to two DH races the past two weeks (I'm new to racing) and did OK. My budget was a bit more than your's, although I'm a student (college) as well. I bought the 2006 frame from TBC on closeout at a steal and patiently collected parts for it this past spring. If you really want to DH it, as well as FR and some trail rides, the DB would be a good fit, but I would strongly recommend a Preston. While the DB is pedal-able, it isn't much fun (I've got chicken legs though...).

Good luck on whichever bike you choose to build up. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.