Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls, quick question. Did Giant change the front der. from top swing to bottom swing in 04? Just got a replacment frame back and want to make sure I'm not seeing things wrong. Had an 02 that was great till a small crack developed on the weld for the shock/rocker bracket on the seat tube. Thanks. Rick

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since no one wanted to comfirm I'll confirm for anybody else. Yes the '04 NRS uses a bottem swing front der. Put an XT on and it works beautiful. Now if I can pick up an X0 or X9 rear der for cheap I can get the Sram front der a start going the no shim route.

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
I was looking at my 02 and thought it would be a tight fit for a bottom swing frt der. due to location of the bottom shock mount. For 04, did Giant move the bottom of the shock or is there enough space?

BTW, before getting a SRAM FD, check out some of the posts in the SRAM forum. Some folks have been problems with them. I run an X.9 rear der. & its a beautiful thing. I can't wait see see the X.0 triggers -- mind you, I can definitely wait on the price... :eek:

Thx.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the 02 NRS yes a bottom swing would interfere with the bottom of the shock. On the 04 my original top swing needed to go down too far and the weld for the bottom bracket interfered with the clamp. I need to post some pics of the new ride later.

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I recently got my '02 NRS (first dual suspension ;-) and was looking for a better frt der (it came with a Deore). Looks like I need to limit my searches for a top swing/top pull. Thx.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I ran into the same problem on my 04, as I went off a list of NRS specs on the web rather than just looking at my bike. Duh! I tried the top swing, but no go with the welds. I now have a XT bottom swing/top pull that works great (clamp size 34.9 mm if you need to know). Plus, I bought it on clearence!

-Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.