Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have alittle over a half an acre with a pretty steep downhill slope and I think why drive to FR when you can do it in your backyard! :D It's more than half an acre it's probably more like 20-30m across and 40-60m down. This is what I have so far... Any improvements? add-ons? Im a beginner FR'er but at the same time I would like it to last. :eek: shocker isn't it. So take a look and give me your opinions

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
where the teeter is make a step up jump to drop northshore stunt. u can even make it a step up, to northshore teeter stunt if u really want. then get rid of the pumps and either make a big gap, or a drop into a jump. im jealous u have land to do all this

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know, I really want a teeter, thats only about half the hill maybe less so I can always add stuff later. Yeah I wasnt to sure about the pumps...I think im just gonna make a gap jump there then into the berm. I'll get a picture up here on how steep the hill really is, its gonna take alot of work to get a trail dug out... :| anybody want to help :cryin:

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is going to be my first FR course well not that i have ever riddin on but this is just a rough plan. It depends on if i can get some buddies to help and stuff like that. Im also thinking of building a set of jumps on the left side that jump over the main trail and then it would berm into the Up to flat bridge.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Plans are tough to use, it always changes. I say build the first thing ride it and go on like that or two at a time. Make sure it flows that is the most improtant thing. Don't make it awkward by cramming to much stuff in there. I like your trail gap option.

·
Registered
234 Posts
When I came back from Whistler I was all jazzed and started to build on my 3+ acres. I must say, I have HUGE respect for trail builders now because ITS A BIATCH!

I have some pictures of my project that might give you some ideas (and maybe I can get some of your ideas as well)?
I could sure use some assistance with teeter schematics.

Here are a couple of shots.

New ladders being built

Some switchbacks

One finished ladder set

I have a few more stunts to build and a &^%$ load of landscaping! If your going to make your trail safe and erosion free, be forewarned.....its a ton -o- werk! Every time I swing a Mcleod tool now I sooooo appreciate the trail builders!!!!

I strongly reccomend you go to IMBA's site https://www.imba.com/, Get their book "Trail Solutions" & join them:thumbsup: I also found the guys at Naturtec [https://www.naturtec.com/]) helpful as well as Lee McCormack https://www.leelikesbikes.com/mastering-mountain-bike-skills/

Hope thats some helpful info for you:thumbsup:

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
i am sooo jealous of you two.. if you live anyhwere near crested butte colorado we should become best friends. Also proxy how much has building this trail cost you thus far?

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I live in the bay area :) Cali!!! Im hoping I can get a switch back and a strait away done every weekend, but I have a feeling thats not going to happen.
Its going to be fast and dangerous If you go down on one of the berms your gonna hit a wire chainlink fence:sad:
I have another question. Do you think a ladder would be secure enough if I just burried the wood posts in the dirt? For the first few months I dont think I want to set anything in concrete.
I have a date set with a few of my friends 2 weekends from now we are going to build the teeter. I've heard that they should be about 14-18 feet long? Is that kind of a normal size?

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
proxy said:
I dont mean to piggy back on your thread, but Im going to piggy back on your thread:D

When I came back from Whistler I was all jazzed and started to build on my 3+ acres. I must say, I have HUGE respect for trail builders now because ITS A BIATCH!

I have some pictures of my project that might give you some ideas (and maybe I can get some of your ideas as well)?
I could sure use some assistance with teeter schematics.

Here is my link.....http://www.backyardtrail.cjb.net/

Lee McCormack http://www.leelikesbikes.com/mastering-mountain-bike-skills/

Hope thats some helpful info for you:thumbsup:
Nice garden :cornut:

·
Registered
456 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
Sorry I live in the bay area :) Cali!!! Im hoping I can get a switch back and a strait away done every weekend, but I have a feeling thats not going to happen.
Its going to be fast and dangerous If you go down on one of the berms your gonna hit a wire chainlink fence:sad:
I have another question. Do you think a ladder would be secure enough if I just burried the wood posts in the dirt? For the first few months I dont think I want to set anything in concrete.
I have a date set with a few of my friends 2 weekends from now we are going to build the teeter. I've heard that they should be about 14-18 feet long? Is that kind of a normal size?
Just burried will be fine. I never concrete anything in.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,843 Posts
proxy said:
I dont mean to piggy back on your thread, but Im going to piggy back on your thread:D

I have a few more stunts to build and a &^%$ load of landscaping! If your going to make your trail safe and erosion free, be forewarned.....its a ton -o- werk! Every time I swing a Mcleod tool now I sooooo appreciate the trail builders!!!!:
A FR Garden..... needs a Gazebo for safety meetings ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
dogonfr said:
Nice garden :cornut:
Hey thanks, IMO its better to build something on your land that increases the value & adds equity rather than does nothing or detracts!
davec113 said:
A FR Garden..... needs a Gazebo for safety meetings ;)
Sarcastic but partially true.......when you start building trails on your property (with the intent of having other invitees ride it with you) you may be surprised at what happens to your homeowners policy if you don't do it right (safe).....take it from one who learned the hard way:D
mrpercussive said:
so this is what happens when you give XCers a taste of FR and DH
That and a wife who wants a 1/2 mile jogging path (or you cant build anything):madmax:
D-line said:
Some pics of my yard..
Damn I envy you! First for owning land thats forested and has some natural terrain features (I live in a bloody desert so I have to plant everything and import everything) & second for being able to build what you want without needing 5,000 approval letters from associations. Looks very fun:thumbsup:

2 Questions...How many acres do you own and what did it set you back (I love the terrain)?
How many feet of a landing area (run off) do you have after that diving board drop? Is it about 6-7' tall? My next project is a series of those on a 38 degree slope.

motormonkeyr6..................

You might also want to check out this link for a super helpful tool. If your going to do allot of trail work, id recommend getting a McLeod tool, but these are bigger.better and 1/2 the price!!!!!!!
http://www.lambertonrake.com/buy.html

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.