Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Lockport Rippers
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone, the fall season is here and we are going to be starting to build again here in Lock Haven (35min from State College and Williamsport). We have been given permission to build on this mountian behind my house, and as of last year we have been taking advantage of this by building FR/downhill trails. All of the current stuff has been built by just two guys. I was out back scouting today for things we would like to build and realized we are going to need help this time, ladder work, bigger jumps and step-up's. Also new ideas, we would love to hear other ppls thoughts on what they may want to build. We have tools (chainsaws, winches, shovels, rakes, even and old CJ jeep to get us and the bikes out there). I have pictures if anyone would like to see what is going on so far, but more help is appreciated fto get a few more projects done. Obviously, you help build, you ride anytime you want.

Just so you all dont think we are 12yr olds, building little jumps here is a list of what we have so far. 3-4 decent riding berms with small launches built along one main trail with 4 branches, 2 paletted berms into a downhill launch (eventual step-up and bottom of run), a 23ft table-top (a hip jump to go in once we get enough ppl to help build). Like I said it would be worth a little drive just to come and ride what we currently have, but def. worth it if you wanted to see something you have thought about building put into action. Thanks again.

P.S. If anyone rides street/dirt jumps, we have a pretty nice bmx scene down here that has been cool enough to let us use their dirt jumps, as long as we keep them mantained.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Duffy,

good to see you haven't given up on this project. i really wish i had some more time and energy to get up and see firsthand what you are building. what i have seen so far really does seem to point to a good amount of potential.

edited for the benefit of the doubt, i'll repost the original content if it proves neccessary, though i hope it does not.

don

·
Lockport Rippers
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks thanks for the props, I guess. Umm, I thought brandon paided you for the bike? I know his cash went somewhere at the bike shop. The black paint on the bike is that what has you upset? Yeah I have seen your remarks throughout the message boards and whatnot, but I just figured we all had more riding to do so I might as well not comment. I thought it was $750 for the bike? I admit seems cheap, but is that what you said? If Brandon did not pay you for the bike, then I personally will pay you what he owes yet on the thing, and he can pay me back later. All I wanted (and I am sure he does too) is to get some freeride trails going on in central PA, we have been working hardcore to get what we have, and I kinda thought there may be some others around here that might be interested in riding and helping.

Well I dont want this to seem like a personal chat between you and me, but can we try to clear this up, so we have a larger group of riders in the area.

To everyone else watching this drama unfold come check it out for yourselves, the trails that is. I dont think we are that disrespectful to other riders, so if you are interested get ahold of me and we can set up a time to ride or work on some of our local stuff.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Duffy,

i don't want to drag out the details, so i sent you a PM. short of it is, he paid me almost half the 750. the painting only bugs me that i never got the rest and hence the bike isn't his to paint.

anyway, if that gets worked out, i'll be more than happy to check out the trails. i'm sure others will also, there are a lot of big bikes rolling around town.

don

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
duffster412 said:
I have pictures if anyone would like to see what is going on so far, but more help is appreciated fto get a few more projects done.
I'd definitely like to see pics of what you've got already. I was just talking to my buddy Nate (screen name: be350ka) about wanting to put together some Freeride-type stuff. I'd be down with doing some building as time permits. And like Don said, there are quite a few guys in town here (State College) riding big bikes. Maybe word could be spread around the local bikes shops here to see if anyone else would be interested.

Keeps us posted on when you're going to have workdays and maybe we can hook something up. What type of terrain features are you looking to build? Just for reference I'm a definite FR newb so I'd love to have some progressive-type terrain features. Not that I'm trying to dictate what should be built (definitely not, so please don't take it that way), but if it's gonna be all 15' high skinnies and 40' gap jumps then it's out of my league and I'm probably not gonna be interested. If there will be a mix of intermediate/black diamond/double black type terrain features then that sounds cool to me.

I just re-read your post and the stuff you guys have built so far sound awesome and right up my alley. And I don't have anything against skinnies, per se, just as long as I can get some practice on some low ones. Anyway, now I'm babbling. Bottom line, I'm interested in helpin out.

Keep us posted (and post pics if you got 'em).

Patrick

·
Lockport Rippers
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah there are alot of logs in that jump, it is actually a tabletop (25ftgap) but the dirt around there is so hard to dig, plus we has alot of dead fall we had to clean up so we just threw it in the backside, it is solid though. Land consitantly straight is what is giving us the hard time, ha.

·
Lockport Rippers
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
few more pics

I didn't mention we are throwing a teeter-totter in at some point, it is pretty much all assembled and everything we just have to mount it to the log and it is ready to ride. Here are a few more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
WOW Duffy,

you guys have been busy since last i saw.

i've got 2 suggestions for the building portions:

1. when you need dirt, dig it from the exposed rootball of a blown down tree. it is really easy to dig there.

2. most of those features are built with logs. they are going to change as the logs decompose, so keep your eyes peeled for stuff starting to feel questionable. and keeping them somewhat exposed is nice too so you can look at them and see how much they have rotted. if you fill them completely with dirt, you'll lose that option.

if you guys can actually schedule a work day / days in advance, i'm sure we can get some interested people involved. the notice is the hardest part.

don

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
Yeah, what Don said.

What you got so far looks awesome. Get us some advance notice on workdays (weekends are best for me, I'm a Mon-Friday guy) and we can carpool a group up from State College.

Man, jumps, berms and everything. Don, we need some berms on our local trails. And jumps. And less rocks. And no climbing. ;) Sorry, I'm just dreaming of days filled with chairlift rides and downhill runs. :)

Seriously, Duffster, keep us posted.

Patrick

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hey,

we built a berm for you Patrick. it's not our fault that it is made out of rock. what else do we have to build with??? certainly not dirt.

i put some other stuff in up on tussey. opened an optional line and put in a small log ride. i'm working on some more. might go out today and do some work. depends on the rain.

agreed weekends work best. i'm usually off sundays.

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
bighitdon said:
we built a berm for you Patrick. it's not our fault that it is made out of rock. what else do we have to build with??? certainly not dirt.
On tux, is that where you're referring to? Yeah, that's actually some sweet rock work. Unfortunately, i usually skip that section and go up/down Kettle.

You're absolutely right in that there isn't any dirt. Which hurts when you fall. Which I do (a lot).

bighitdon said:
i put some other stuff in up on tussey. opened an optional line and put in a small log ride.
Nice, I haven't been up there recently. I like to ride the ridge from the gas line towards Bear Meadows Road (and I hate going the other way), but since the camp trail is off limits for a while I haven't done it. I could approach from the other extension, but I just haven't had the motivation to go that way yet. :p

bighitdon said:
i'm working on some more. might go out today and do some work. depends on the rain.
Nice. Let me know if you're heading up there on any weekends. I've haven't been keeping too close tabs on the nmba site, but I haven't seen any work parties recently. Keep me posted.

Patrick

·
Registered
538 Posts
Patrick,

most of this stuff i've been doing during a few spare hours on my wednesdays off. i usually just go out to the forest early for the wed 6pm ride.

i bagged it today blamed it on the weather, but i should have gone. the rain held out till 5 or so.

weekend days for working would only be on sundays as i work most saturdays. it's getting to be a good time of year for building as it gets too cold for me to ride anymore.

i'll see about letting you know if i get out on any sundays.

don

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Hey Duffy

Hey Duffy, I was in the bike shop the other day with my new Pike while you were working on your bike. I have access to allot of "scrap" wood at work. I wood like to help you out with your project sometime. I currenly have a good stock pile of wood here at the house, but I have a shed project in the spring to do with it. After that I will see if I can hook you up with some usable lumber.

I have pretty good wood working skills. See my pictures, this is a little ramp project I did.

Looking at your pictures make me think twice about selling my Gemini, oh well I still have the Heckler I'm currently building up a little stronger that I can huck a little.

Attachments

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
duffster412 said:
Hey there everyone, the fall season is here and we are going to be starting to build again here in Lock Haven (35min from State College and Williamsport). We have been given permission to build on this mountian behind my house, and as of last year we have been taking advantage of this by building FR/downhill trails. All of the current stuff has been built by just two guys. I was out back scouting today for things we would like to build and realized we are going to need help this time, ladder work, bigger jumps and step-up's. Also new ideas, we would love to hear other ppls thoughts on what they may want to build.
I'd be interested in visiting sometime to share ideas. It is a little bit of a drive from my place (in Bloomsburg), but I'd give it a try. I'm not afraid to work. You could come run some of our trails sometime if you are interested, but it might be a little bit more tame than some of your stuff.

-Jamie

·
Lockport Rippers
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kudos on the ramp building spacoli, is that box set local here in Lock Haven? It looks really nice, quite a few tranny possiblities on that thing.

Yeah you far surpass any of our woodworking skills, we pretty much build as we go, a little bit of planning just laying out the trail, but then the man-made stuff just pops up all over.

Once you all get down here some time, you will see that almost every feature has some type of optical illusion built into it. Yeah, never try to first run any of the stuff up here, with out walking through it first. Everything has been ridden, so at least it has been done by someone, ha.

Jamie, you should definitely come up, give us your input. And we would like to rip anywhere different, change in scenery is always welcome.

And for anyone that may be worried about some of the stuff built so far, have no fear. We are some of the sketchiest bikers you will ever see, so if we made it you can too. Plus watch us and your buddies crash, always good for a laugh!

And we are up for any type of terrain feature, nothing is to lame to put in the trails. I am sure we have already built the worst ideas anyone can come up with, ha. Anything can be made more difficult by just throwing speed into it.

Once everyone gets a general idea of what we want to build, you all can feel free to stop in and work whenever you want (obviously ride whenver you want too, just dont wipe out by yourself out there)

I suck at planning, so how about I leave a standing offer. Either myself or the other guy that helps build are usually working at some point every weekend. I alternate working at the local bike shop (The Bike Gallery) every other weekend, but we close at 3. So stop in around that time. I am still a sissy about throwing out the cell #, but if you PM me, I will hook you up, no problem.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
bighitdon said:
Patrick,

most of this stuff i've been doing during a few spare hours on my wednesdays off. i usually just go out to the forest early for the wed 6pm ride.

i bagged it today blamed it on the weather, but i should have gone. the rain held out till 5 or so.

weekend days for working would only be on sundays as i work most saturdays. it's getting to be a good time of year for building as it gets too cold for me to ride anymore.

i'll see about letting you know if i get out on any sundays.

don

Don,

You can count me in too.

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Duffy, I had built that stuff up and ended up giving it all away to the local skateboarder. I think he still has some of the 4' ramps and platforms, set up in a tennis court in our development. I could probably get those back and hall them up there and you can work them in to something.

1 - 20 of 316 Posts