Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing an Ibis Ripley. I have the choice of an MRP Ribbon or Fox Factory 34. Same price. I know the Ribbon gets great reviews. I am more cross country than enduro (although I do like to go down). The lighter weight is attractive, but frankly its not that much of a difference if the Ribbon is that much better (~.65 lbs). Is there any reason I would go with the Fox or is the Ribbon just better in all regards? I like to climb but not sure either will "climb better" - any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I would pick the 34, much better damper technology and spring design so thats my recommendation
This seems completely inverted. What's your rationale? You don't even know what damper is in this particular fox 34, what if it's CTD?

For the OP:
There are several models of fox 34 and they changed a lot over the years. What year and specific model does the seller have? I suspect the reason he has both forks is that the fox was original equipment and he upgraded to the ribbon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
This seems completely inverted. What's your rationale? You don't even know what damper is in this particular fox 34, what if it's CTD?

For the OP:
There are several models of fox 34 and they changed a lot over the years. What year and specific model does the seller have? I suspect the reason he has both forks is that the fox was original equipment and he upgraded to the ribbon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Every damper Fox makes is better that the MRP damper so it doesn't matter what version. Even CTD Evo (which is highly unlikely) is about equal if not better than the Ribbon IMO

·
Registered
97 Posts
Both Good, depends on what you like, literally- I think.

I have both.

Fox has less tuning adjustments.

Ribbon can be dialed exactly to whatever your preference is....but it takes a while, and a bit of tinkering.

Both ride very well. I like the MRP better, but I like to fiddle and tinker... separate positive and negative air pressure, plus ramp control, means you can perfectly dial the airspring..

some people would likely find that frustrating.... (my wife would hate it)

Think fiddling with an X2 or inline to dial high / low speed compression and high / low speed rebound... it takes a while, but golden when you hit it..

Fox rides really well also, just have to tinker with volume spacers in garage instead of dialing ramp control on trail..

Both good, I think

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Doesn't ramp control work very differently to volume spacers in some situations? Super progressive on small Impacts then opens up to let you smash that bottom out bumper on big hits? Sounds like a liability to me but I haven't actually ridden one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.