Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm looking to buy a Novara System Pro when it comes out. It's stocked with a Rock Shox Recon 351 Air (not sure if it's solo air/coil or dual air). I've been debating, if I buy it, whether to get Fox fork and rear shock or just leave the recon 351 and monarch 3.1 that it's stocked with. There's also a cannondale rush 6 with worse drivetrain/brakes, but fox suspensions....

Are Fox suspensions really that much better than Rock Shox? They're usually twice the price, but it doesn't necessarily mean they perform better. I know Fox suspensions are made in the US, where labor costs are a lot higher.... but do Fox forks and shocks really perform that much better?

The Fox Vanilla is all coil (no air), but it's more expensive than even the Dual Air Recon. Why?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I rode Rock Shox for years, but I recently built up a 29er and went with Fox. I am not disappointed and I don't think I will ever switch back.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't know about the shocks, but fork wise fox stuff isn't really much more expensive than equivalent RS. Fox doesn't build any entry level stuff though, I guess that could make them seem way more expensive. I own both and like them, there's no reason to swap unless something busted or doesn't meet your needs. In any event, a new fork and shock from Fox will set you back nearly $1k or even more. That money would probably go a whole lot farther buying a higher end bike to start with.

·
low speed, high drag
317 Posts
Unless you're a seasoned veteran, I wouldn't worry so much about having top of the line stuff just yet. The Recon should do you fine. That being said, the RS make products for all
levels of riding where fox is exclusively high end as wreckedrex said. Higher end RS forks such as the Pike, Revelation, etc. cost about as much.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
a pike or rev might run you 450.. a comparable fox is 700-900 bucks! they're way more expensive.

i like my fox talas.. it rides really nice, its just a pain in the ass to service. rs forks are incredibly easy to service. theres definitely low end fox forks, they just dont have low end prices.

·
Registered
373 Posts
RS gives better value for the dollar imho....
They have a wider product range and thus are much more flexible with the products they offer, such as totem/domain, pike/lyrik, giving you more options for your dollar.
Fox you pay for the cool logo and the privilege to run fox suspension sticker on your bike, still good stuff though. And you are limited to either 32, 36, 40. With the primer 2 options of air, coil, or air travel adjust.

Mission control dampers also are about the same as the Fox damper systems performance wise, with motion control following on a hot second.

One way or the other if you do your research both companies will serve you well.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I don't have a wide range of experience, but I recently replaced some older RS stuff with new Fox stuff on my bike. The RS stuff has a different feel than the Fox; I happen to like the Fox feel better, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that prefer the RS feel. But I would agree with the posters above - the two are close enough that until you're really fine-tuning for what you want with your riding, you should ride the hell out of the RS stuff that is coming with your new bike and spend your money elsewhere for now.

EDIT: Look into upgrading when these initial pieces stop holding air a few years from now. Then you can decide if you just want to put on new seals, or get new parts. Until then, just ride 'em.

·
Registered
534 Posts
tomsmoto said:
a pike or rev might run you 450.. a comparable fox is 700-900 bucks! they're way more expensive.

i like my fox talas.. it rides really nice, its just a pain in the ass to service. rs forks are incredibly easy to service. theres definitely low end fox forks, they just dont have low end prices.
You've got to compare apples to apples:

$640 Pike 454 U-turn
$600 Talas 32 rlc

Both '08 and from the same vendor. The pike is maybe not quite fair, but the equivalent '08 Revelation is still $540. New '09 fox stuff is somewhat more expensive than new RS stuff, but not even close to 2x.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
talas 32 is a qr fork.. the only comparable fox offering to a a pike is a 20mm 36 talas, and thats not really that close. the rev is definitely a good comparison though.. the pike doesnt match up with a fox fork too well.

you'd have to be on crack to pay 640 for a 454 though.. its a 500 dollar fork, tops. but still, you pay more for fox.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
I see more RS stuff at deeper discount than Fox at more locations.

No one has mentioned yet but RS has 2 yr warranty vs. 1 yr on Fox. In addition, RS customer service on warranty items are less hassle to deal with than Fox...in my experience...and almost always warranteed without being accused.

·
Registered
495 Posts
tomsmoto said:

Really? Which one(s)?

·
Registered
495 Posts
tomsmoto said:
float r's are low end foxes. not saying its a bad fork at all, its a low end fox though.
True, but it is $100 or so cheaper than an RLC. I don't disagree that it is at the bottom end of the Fox line, but I do believe that they do have pricing fit for a lower-level fork. The difference in pricing just isn't as great as say a Reba and a Tora, because the two forks are the same except for the level of adjustability.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts