Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all my fox rears have been very durable and reliable.. but they've all had no mid stroke support. push claims to be able to fix this, but for the price of getting my fox pushed, i can buy any of the swinger shocks. ive been under the impression manitou has much more midstroke support.

im not tooooo worried about small bump, all though it is important. i have a firm compression rp2 right now and its alright in that sense, but it cant take a hit worth a crap.

i 100% ride with propedal off. its way too much platform.. how low can you set the spv platform?

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
One Pivot said:
all my fox rears have been very durable and reliable.. but they've all had no mid stroke support. push claims to be able to fix this, but for the price of getting my fox pushed, i can buy any of the swinger shocks. ive been under the impression manitou has much more midstroke support.

im not tooooo worried about small bump, all though it is important. i have a firm compression rp2 right now and its alright in that sense, but it cant take a hit worth a crap.

i 100% ride with propedal off. its way too much platform.. how low can you set the spv platform?
Since you alreay have a Fox and the price of a PUSH service is inline w/ a Manitou - go PUSH. I rode a few air & coil SPV Manitou's and they were just harsh. I have ridden a couple Intrinsic air shocks and they did provide a firmer midstoke but I wasn't able to get more than 75% of shock stoke & I weigh 215lb.

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
both good

I've had 2 manitous on my Prophet, the original Radium R (still holds air forever) and the Swinger 3 Way with SPV. The latter changed the bike in a big way. Much better at climbing and faster on the straights. I got the 4 position SPV, not a separate air chamber. Eliminated pedal bob. I keep it on position 3. Holds air really well.

My buddies have Fox and they have had them Pushed. They say awesome, so choice is yours.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive heard of more than a few people saying that after the push, it feels much better, but still has weak midstroke. i also dont like that fox shocks are completely non serviceable. im not sure about manitous level of tinkerability.

id still like some more opinions.. another plus is with manitou, id keep my fox as a backup.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
I prefer Manitou over Fox, myself. I've had Swinger 4way's on 4 different bikes in both coil and air models. Super reliable and adjustable. SPV was a great damper for rear shocks, especially on single pivots and high leverage bikes.

That being said, the Evolver ISX line supposedly has more mid stroke damping than the Swinger.

What frame are you working with?

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
One Pivot said:
ive heard of more than a few people saying that after the push, it feels much better, but still has weak midstroke. i also dont like that fox shocks are completely non serviceable. im not sure about manitous level of tinkerability.

id still like some more opinions.. another plus is with manitou, id keep my fox as a backup.
If performance is the key issue then consider a coil shock. I havn't ridden an air that compares to a coil.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The complaint isn't with fox shocks, it's with their air shocks, perhaps not all, did have an RP2, though hasn't been an issue on my DHX 5 coil shocks. Haven't met an air shock I loved yet.

·
Registered
919 Posts
keen said:
If performance is the key issue then consider a coil shock. I havn't ridden an air that compares to a coil.
Same here. Once I spent some time on a coil, just can't gp back to air. You have to carry more weight, but a Ti spring makes a huge difference. I'm running an old school FOX RC coil with a 300# ti spring. It only weighs 40 grams more than a DHX air shock. It does not have any propedal/boost valve features, but I really don't need those anyway.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im not all that concerned about plush travel.. i mean people ride hardtails afterall, seems weird to complain about plush when i have 5 inches of movement back there. i just dont like using the top and bottom of the travel only and blasting through the middle. sounds like manitou can solve that with an air shock.

manitous level of tuning, solely with air pressure, is impressive.. nevermind that you can open them and start shimming. i think im going to go for it!

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
One Pivot said:
im not all that concerned about plush travel.. i mean people ride hardtails afterall, seems weird to complain about plush when i have 5 inches of movement back there. i just dont like using the top and bottom of the travel only and blasting through the middle. sounds like manitou can solve that with an air shock.

manitous level of tuning, solely with air pressure, is impressive.. nevermind that you can open them and start shimming. i think im going to go for it!
.im not tooooo worried about small bump, all though it is important.

]im not all that concerned about plush travel.

Might as well just buy an SPV Manitou then it fits the bill for those statements.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there is a difference between a a well damped compliant shock and a platform though. platform shocks climb poorly. if you're bouncing everywhere out back instead of rolling over stuff, it'll climb like hell. if it ramps up a little and gets stiffer towards the end on bigger hits.. eh, no big deal. thats what i mean by not being too worried about plush travel.

it sounds like you can tune that harshness out of the initial platform.. ? with my rp2 turning propedal on kills anything resembling good damping, and then it still blows through travel.

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
One Pivot said:
there is a difference between a a well damped compliant shock and a platform though. platform shocks climb poorly. if you're bouncing everywhere out back instead of rolling over stuff, it'll climb like hell. if it ramps up a little and gets stiffer towards the end on bigger hits.. eh, no big deal. thats what i mean by not being too worried about plush travel.

it sounds like you can tune that harshness out of the initial platform.. ? with my rp2 turning propedal on kills anything resembling good damping, and then it still blows through travel.
You are really trying to convince yourself that SPV Manitou is the ticket. Do a search SPV gets a thunbs down for poor small bump compliance = poor dampning. Even Manitou moved to Intrinsic dampning. Lots of riders ran minimum SPV pressures and still had a harsh ride. You keep throwing the word "plush" out there - What's that you are referring to ?

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
plush.. like a non platform coil shock that would move if you hit a penny.. i dont need that, i need a shock thats supportive in the middle. fox air shocks dont do that, the marz shocks tend to blow up or leak or do run of the mill marz stuff :lol: just running out of options without adding a ton of weight with a coil, which i really dont need.

another thread said some company offers to replace the spv with a shimstack, which is really easy on the forks.. the shocks looked similar enough.

completely forgot about rockshox! dont hear much about their new shocks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.