Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I currently have a 2003 GT Ruckus I-drive 2.0 equiped with a Fox Vanilla RC rear shock, I have a 500 Ib x 2.3 spring for the rear shock that came with the shock but it seems that the rear shock is way too soft for my weight, like I'm already using half the travel. My currently weight is around 190 with gear, what would be a good spring weight for my weight?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Not too many Rucus riders on this board.

How do you like the bike?

What is the amount of travel, and the shock stroke? After you have that info, you can use a spring rate calculator to get closer to what you need.

Here is a good place to start.
http://www.mojo.co.uk/springs-calc.shtml

For instance, it says a 190 lb rider riding a 6" travel bike on a 2.25" stroke shock needs to start on a 550spring.

If the shock ever needs to be rebuilt, send it to these guys for the works. They will do a werks style valve job on it, for you, that bike and your style.

www.pushindustries.com

Spendy, but WAY worth it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love the bike it's really nice. Here's the info:

Rear Travel: 6"
Rear Shock size: 7.5" x 2"

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I need like 700 Ib spring. Is that normal for the Vanilla RC?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thing, don't think this calculator takes into account what kind of suspension design you have, so since I have an I-drive it could be totally different. Kinda like VPP.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Correct.

WeylessXPRider said:
One more thing, don't think this calculator takes into account what kind of suspension design you have, so since I have an I-drive it could be totally different. Kinda like VPP.
The calc does not take design in to account. It is simply a baseline to get you going the right direction.

It is very possible to need a 700. If I were using an RC on my Gemini, i'd need around an 800.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmmmmm... then for suspension designs with linkage designs could use a lower spring rate than what is required.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First new spring, getting shock PUSHed comes later.

Also sent an email to PUSH about, since I'm trying to get my Vanilla RC setup properly before I ever send it to get PUSHed for the Factory Race system that I plan on doing for it.
Hopefully they send a reply to me, since I'm not completely familiar with the suspension setup, mainly used to air shocks, I'll go ahead and email GT as well.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a new spring

Well I finally got a spring seems like going for the 700 Ib spring was the right one to go for seeing how the I-drive design is similar to a single pivot design. Actually I got a 750 Ib spring, but it still works like a dream, the compression adjustments are so much more noticable now that I have the correct spring rate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts