Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No longer riding a haro!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this topic at Ridemonkey, here http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115316 but nobody seemed to want to reply, so I am posting here. Click on that link for the pictures that I will type about:

I am looking to get a $300-$400 dollar light freeride fork for my bike (5-6 inches) and I was planning on getting a stance flow, but after seeing that everybody has had problems with them, I am not to sure. I found a 2005 Fox Vanilla R fork (130mm) with a free chrisking headset for $410. Is this a good deal?? I also want to know how this fork stands up for freeriding, I am not heavy (Only 115 pounds) and am pretty smooth. I do up to 10-15 foot drops, so some people may say that is to big for a fox vanilla, but I have done a 12 footer on an Mz-comp.
Anyway, I think this fork will stand up to what I want, and I want to know who else thinks so to.

Thanks,
Craig
P.s. Attached is a picture of my bike (w/o new rear tire) and a pic of the 12 footer I did.

·
Registered
467 Posts
you say that you have done "a" 12 footer on the MZ comp. the issue with a fork is not hwo high of a drop it will take once, but how well it will stand up to repeated abuse. i would be willing to bet that a walmart fork would take a twelve foot drop at least once (but would probably snap with repeated 2 footers). that being said, the vanilla is a great fork. i have a friend who rides one pretty hard, and it has held up great. i wont say "yes, you should freeride a fox vanilla," but for someone as light as you, and assuming you are a smooth rider, i think it would last a while if you are only doing occasional big hucks. if all you want to do are big hucks, i would say look elsewhere.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Not to be harsh, but . . .

Is it that "nobody wanted to respond" on your RideMonkey post, or that everyone said "save your cash for a better frame, or complete bike" because with repeated drops and hard landings your Haro will not last . . .

If you are gonna do that kinda riding, you might want to consider a "big hit" type of bike safer for you, better use of your money, and in general YOU will have a better experience riding.

start with a good solid foundation "bike frame" and build from there . . .

·
No longer riding a haro!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I understand what you are saying, but my parents think differently. They think that my bike is new (Last August) :rolleyes: and I dont need to be buying a new bike now. I am short on money too, but I am looking for a job.

Anyway, I think I want to get the 2004 Sherman Flick 90-130 with a quick release. Do I need a different brake adapter to run my 8 inch hayes mx-2 brakes on the Manitou compared to the Marzocchi?? I have a feeling they will be different, but I want to buy the right one!

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
flatulentfox said:
you say that you have done "a" 12 footer on the MZ comp. the issue with a fork is not hwo high of a drop it will take once, but how well it will stand up to repeated abuse. i would be willing to bet that a walmart fork would take a twelve foot drop at least once (but would probably snap with repeated 2 footers). that being said, the vanilla is a great fork. i have a friend who rides one pretty hard, and it has held up great. i wont say "yes, you should freeride a fox vanilla," but for someone as light as you, and assuming you are a smooth rider, i think it would last a while if you are only doing occasional big hucks. if all you want to do are big hucks, i would say look elsewhere.
zach dank used a float (or talas... same diffence) and i use a vanilla..

my advice is go for the rlc... it's gonna be a difference... WAAAAAAAAAY more adjustable.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
I need a different brake adapter
Yeah, manitou doesn't use a standard attachment so you'll need an adapter. I'm sure where ever you get the fork from will also have the adapter.

·
Registered
606 Posts
For $70 less you have 3 better options than the Fox. NEVER take a 130mm 4lb fork off 10+footers, that's suicide!!!

You can get an 04 sherman flick 130mm for around $330 if you look around

Cambriabike.com has 2004 Marzocchi Z1 FR 130mm QR forks for $330
I would pick up one of those right away if I were you!!! That's going to bethe best 130mm fork you will EVER find for doing 10+ foot drops on. It's 10 times more of a Freeride fork than the Vanilla. Even though you weigh only 115lbs 10 foot drops will destroy a light Fox fork eventually.

You can also check out the Pike $324 from AEBIKE.com. It's a really soild fork too and will suit you much better than a Fox. I'm not quite sure about taking it off 10foot drops though, that might be a bit much for it. The Pike makes the tansition from FR to DJ and XC much easier than the Z1 though. The Pike is one of the best DJ and XC capable forks I've ever used.

Go with the Marz Z1 Fr 130 from cambria. It's your best choice for the money right now. The steerer tube is aluminum, but is pretty much jammed FULL of metal, very strong. You better buy it now before they sell out. I'm thinking about getting one too for my new dual suspension build. The usually go for $560 or something like that. Once again, it's 10 times more of a FR fork than the Vanilla. The Vanilla is a much better trail fork though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.