Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MT rider
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Fox Vanilla R on an '05 Kona Kula (referring to the OEM fork) and it's got some "leg play" which at first, thought it was the headset which was kinda loose, but the headset's ok and I can actually feel the "click" (Placing a finger on both the stanchions and the lower legs) whenever the bike's "rocked" forward/backward with the brakes applied or against a wall. Since the fork is coil sprung, is it normal to have this amount of play? The fork has been like this since new and fyi, the headset's not the OEM Aheadset but a Race Face Deus.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
yes

Mervyn_b said:
Got a Fox Vanilla R on an '05 Kona Kula (referring to the OEM fork) and it's got some "leg play" which at first, thought it was the headset which was kinda loose, but the headset's ok and I can actually feel the "click" (Placing a finger on both the stanchions and the lower legs) whenever the bike's "rocked" forward/backward with the brakes applied or against a wall. Since the fork is coil sprung, is it normal to have this amount of play? The fork has been like this since new and fyi, the headset's not the OEM Aheadset but a Race Face Deus.
That is common I have found with many Kona bikes we have, Specialized too. I dont think its anything with Kona at all, its the OE fork problem I have seen quite a bit with Fox, air and coil both.
You may want to have your shop send it in so Fox can fix it.

·
MT rider
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DGC said:
That is common I have found with many Kona bikes we have, Specialized too. I dont think its anything with Kona at all, its the OE fork problem I have seen quite a bit with Fox, air and coil both.
You may want to have your shop send it in so Fox can fix it.
Since I live in Europe, I don't think sending the fork back in can be considered as an option. Any ideas of what I can do? Does it need any new parts? I think I might as well leave it that way since this fork is relatively in brand new condition.

Thx

·
Registered
537 Posts
Bushing play

Mervyn_b said:
Since I live in Europe, I don't think sending the fork back in can be considered as an option. Any ideas of what I can do? Does it need any new parts? I think I might as well leave it that way since this fork is relatively in brand new condition.

Thx
Mervyn this issue is not uncommon on Fox forks, some have a bit of bushing play. Fox uses slotted bushings to help with oil lubrication (open bath system) and this may lead to decreased tolerances between stanchions (uppers) and bushings. In other words thegap between stanchions and bushings is a little too large.

It should not affect performance much, so just go and ride.
Push Industries (in the USA) replaces the Fox bushings in some forks to achieve better tolerances and less play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts