Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i was looking on the JensonUSA website and I saw the fox vanilla at a price that is appropriate for me. Since I do mostly DJ , is the vanilla is a great fork for this type of riding ? and if yes , i'd like your opinnions about this fork .
thanx a lot

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
FreeWilly said:
Hi, i was looking on the JensonUSA website and I saw the fox vanilla at a price that is appropriate for me. Since I do mostly DJ , is the vanilla is a great fork for this type of riding ? and if yes , i'd like your opinnions about this fork .
thanx a lot
Should be ok. The lower castings are kindof thin though... Good dampening. But pricey. A Rockshox Pike or Reba would probably be better suited towards DJ. You can also get a Manitou Sherman and reduce the travel.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
the vanilla would work for dj and urban riding, but i would recommend a pike. the pikes have QR20mm axle. its super stiff and adjustable and a decent price. you can get them on www.pricepoint.com for cheap

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got a vanilla r and it is sweeat. All you have to do is drop the travel to 100mm with stiffer springs and you got a great dj fork with GREAT dampening...

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
yea, I think a vanilla would survive. I was thinking of picking up one for my urban and DJ bike. I dont think you should reduce the travel though. I love the feeling of 130 while jumping.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okm so if I choose a pike and i don't ave already a QR20 axle , do I need to change the whole wheel or can I only chane th hub ???

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
FreeWilly said:
okm so if I choose a pike and i don't ave already a QR20 axle , do I need to change the whole wheel or can I only chane th hub ???
all you need to do is change the hub... The reba is a XC fork, its not going to hold up to any jumping or really abusive riding. A friend snapped one about a year ago, now he is riding a dirtjam comp .... its held up, now what does that say about the rebas ?

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
a Vanilla R is gonna hold up to all you can beat! The only situation its probly not good for is urban abuse (i.e. grinds on casing, running into walls, sliding it on concrete). I know a bunch of people who have abused to the crap out of theirs.

My friend ran his in 130mm for a whole month at whistler, even on garbanzo (its his only bike). No problems.

Buy it, lower it to 100mm and jump away.

P.S> places like beyond bikes (i think?) are offering it for lowest price AND with a free 90 dollar headset........ shop around.........

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
todd_freeride said:
all you need to do is change the hub... The reba is a XC fork, its not going to hold up to any jumping or really abusive riding. A friend snapped one about a year ago, now he is riding a dirtjam comp .... its held up, now what does that say about the rebas ?
Actually, lots of slalom and 4x racers are on Rebas. A fair number of trials-inspired, dirtjumpers, and urban riders are also on Rebas. This includes professionals and weekend warriors. I know somebody personally who put a Reba SL on a Planet X Pitbull. He rode exclusively urban and was not gentle on his bikes. The frame cracked, fork was still good.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Aren't Pike forks good for DJ?

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Actually, lots of slalom and 4x racers are on Rebas. A fair number of trials-inspired, dirtjumpers, and urban riders are also on Rebas. This includes professionals and weekend warriors. I know somebody personally who put a Reba SL on a Planet X Pitbull. He rode exclusively urban and was not gentle on his bikes. The frame cracked, fork was still good.
I think its the same deal with the psylo. I've seen a lot of people DJing it and useing it for 4X and some light downhill use, but its a XC fork, and your probably just going to be better off with a fork designed for the type of riding it was intended for.

I wasnt trying to say the rebas are crap, but they just arent going to be the best for Dj :(

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
todd_freeride said:
I think its the same deal with the psylo. I've seen a lot of people DJing it and useing it for 4X and some light downhill use, but its a XC fork, and your probably just going to be better off with a fork designed for the type of riding it was intended for.

I wasnt trying to say the rebas are crap, but they just arent going to be the best for Dj :(
Actually Psylo was originally intended for freeride, dj, etc. 20mm axle and whatnot. But it proved to be useless for much more than XC. Flexy, and crappy seals. The Reba is actually much stiffer than the Psylo. No, the Reba isn't a huck fork, but it's more than capable for dirtjumps.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Actually Psylo was originally intended for freeride, dj, etc. 20mm axle and whatnot. But it proved to be useless for much more than XC. Flexy, and crappy seals. The Reba is actually much stiffer than the Psylo. No, the Reba isn't a huck fork, but it's more than capable for dirtjumps.
Really ? i've never seen a psylo with a 20mm .... ohh well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts