Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, found the link on the CES site. 4 stages, but not specific what trails. I'll hold off on registering until I hear what they are. I might just do it anyway since I don't think it is conflicting with anything else I have (Grizzly 100 is a couple weeks later).

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have built a new DH course (10 Ply) opened Sat 7/20/19.
I heard about it this weekend from a friend of mine. I was up there for the XC race and didn't bring my long bike...since it's broken :lol:

But from his tone, it didn't sound like a DH course. He mentioned it having interesting features, I'll check it out soon.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any word on what trails they will be running on this course yet? Would like to know....
I haven't heard yet. I'm assuming the usual; Pirates, Fall Line, Plumbers, MM, and Turtle. I'll be up there riding this weekend, but mostly for fun.

I did ride 10 Ply several times now. Watched MTB Alan break his wrist...oops. I like it though.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I haven't heard yet. I'm assuming the usual; Pirates, Fall Line, Plumbers, MM, and Turtle. I'll be up there riding this weekend, but mostly for fun.
Yep I definitely don't think we will be racing 10ply just because they want to keep it as nice as possible for the dh race. We did race going green one and it was pretty hard given all the pedaling. Who know maybe they will do westridge again. That was a hoot to race on last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah every week I go up it is running worse and worse. But after racing at northstar last week, my scale for "blown out" has been completely recalibrated.

:lol:

Looks like rain right now. I'm not racing the DH (I don't think:skep:), so I'm not too worried about 10P for me. I would love a full MM, Pirates/Fall Line to the bottom (not part way, all the way), Going Green, Turtle, or something like that. Something more substantial than 10 minutes worth of racing.

That's why I don't normally race Enduro, too short and not enough pedaling. So I race XC, just do big enduro days on my own :thumbsup:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sweet. I am hoping it is a good race. With the exception of ensenada, all of the ces races this year have been really good. I am just glad it is finally a race that isn’t super far away for us in so cal.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sweet. I am hoping it is a good race. With the exception of ensenada, all of the ces races this year have been really good. I am just glad it is finally a race that isn’t super far away for us in so cal.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I heard from others that they liked the Ensenada race? What was bad about it?
We got on the bus at 8 am, didn't actually have a driver until 9. While driving through town with all of our bikes on the back of a flatbed trailer, almost every bike took damage. Mine wore multiple places on the frame down to the carbon and many people got scratched stanchions. After the first stage we waited another 30 min for the bus to pick us up again. The 30 minute transfer was more like 90 min and they put out like 15 gallons of water for a couple hundred riders. By the time my bus group got there it was all gone.

As I was going down the third stage a local was in my way jumping up and down. As I rounded the corner I realized he was warning me of the trash fire that was quickly overtaking the trail. The flames jumped the trail two riders behind me and the whole stage was cancelled. The transfer to stage 4 had us hiking/riding right next to the fire again.

Add to all of that the fact that practicing required having a dedicated shuttle driver and even with that you had to follow the organizer or some other local because it was damn near impossible to find the stages if you weren't a local.

Outside of the fire, I didn't have an issue with the actual stages, but they sent everyone down what was supposed to be a pro only stage because they didn't finish building the other stages on time. I didn't have too much issue, it was definitely scary at points, but I know some people tried petitioning to have it cancelled for some groups and some people straight up walked the whole top half and took like a 30 min stage time. For a stage that gnarly, there were not course marshals at the most dangerous stuff and there was just a single ambulance at the bottom. If you crashed at the top(which was the most dangerous part), it would have been at least a 20 min hike down as there was zero escape routes.

Everyone In my bus all had the same attitude that it was a once in a lifetime race and they wouldn't go back.

·
Registered
875 Posts

I like the sound of mostly lift transfers, but 4 off mountain trails is kind of a bummer. One of my favorite things about the summit races is how bike park-y they usually are.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Course Description
Transfer to Stage 1 - Lift to top of Pirates
Stage 1 - Pirates

Transfer to Stage 2 - Pedal from finish of Pirates to start of Plumbers
Stage 2 - Plumbers

Transfer to Stage 3 - Pedal from finish of Plumbers to start of Fall Line - 2 miles, 650′ elevation gain
Stage 3 - Fall Line

Transfer to Stage 4 - Pedal back to Snow Summit Village - Lift to top - pedal down Going Green to Dickies
Stage 4 - Dickies

Transfer to Stage 5 - Pedal down Coyote from end of Dickies to Snow Summit - Lift to Miracle Mile
Stage 5 - Miracle Mile
Considering either selling my entry, or just pedaling the climbs. This is just silly.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Considering either selling my entry, or just pedaling the climbs. This is just silly.
Based on my experience at the northstar ews, they are probably doing all the lifting to keep things moving. By eliminating the bottle neck of everyone chilling on the transfer, the day can go by way faster. With so many events going on, they probably want to stick to a schedule.

I'm really disappointed we aren't racing turtle. It is such a blast at race speed. For having a season pass for years, I still never ride the off mountain stuff so I will definitely need practice on those on friday.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.