Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Turns right, slides left
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to change the shock on my Tall Boy 3. The old shock lists tune of "CM RM"(Compression Medium- Rebound Medium) and the shock I'm looking at lists a tune of "CM DRM" (Compression Medium- Digressive Rebound Medium)

Can anyone explain what if any difference the digressive rebound would be?

Thanks on advance.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Digressive rebound would mean that you get more initial rebound damping, which then let’s off the further you get into your travel allowing a faster return. This may or may not be good based on your suspension kinematics.

Picture it this way, assuming the tune code applies to both high and low speed rebound you’re going to get a slower return initially following compression events at low and high speed events early in the stroke and faster rebound on compression events taking you further into your travel. This would suggest a that this tune would resist “packing up” the deeper you get into the travel on repeated hits by rebounding more quickly. I would want this for tackling chunk, but maybe not for sending big hucks to flat if I am understanding correctly.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Rebound speeds are entirely position sensitive ie you can only get high speed rebound events from the bottom of the stroke, so in throery a digressive tune will feel slower at the top of the travel but still return from big hits quickly.

In practise, the 2 tunes aren't wildly different but if anything a VPP bike like the tallboy is more suited to digressive rebound anyway so it will be fine

·
Registered
Trail Bike Fully rebuilt. Check the links
123 Posts
Digressive rebound would mean that you get more initial rebound damping, which then let's off the further you get into your travel allowing a faster return. This may or may not be good based on your suspension kinematics.

Picture it this way, assuming the tune code applies to both high and low speed rebound you're going to get a slower return initially following compression events at low and high speed events early in the stroke and faster rebound on compression events taking you further into your travel. This would suggest a that this tune would resist "packing up" the deeper you get into the travel on repeated hits by rebounding more quickly. I would want this for tackling chunk, but maybe not for sending big hucks to flat if I am understanding correctly.
I just got a DPX2 with the below config.
What you explained is exactly how it felt.
Riding the bike over small bumps like roots felt very plush but on bigger stuff, moving at speed the bike felt lively.
It also felt very poppy in comparison to my previous DPS shock.
I will have to test out the performance on some bigger step down this weekend.
One thing to note was that on setting the rebound 11 click from slow, I did find the shock to be noisier than expected.
At 8 or 9 clicks while riding, I couldn't hear it anymore.

Note that as the shock sizing implies, I'm on a short travel bike, Orbea Occam TR 120mm.

Short ID: DH4X
Description: 2019, FLOAT DPX2, F-S, K, Remote Down, Evol LV, PTU, FOX, AM, 7.25, 1.75, 0.2 Spacer, CM, DRM, Rezi L+ F

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.