Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... Newb here. I have a Triad II that is leaking oil (float fluid?) from main seal but seems to be holding air fine. The leaking seems to be conditional -

I have the tendency to leave the shock in pro-pedal on rough/technical sections/trails, either by accident... or at times purposely. It seems to push oil on this setting (oil/muck rings on shock shaft). Oil nearly nonexistent in descend mode.

Can anyone explain to me what is happening internally with the pro-pedal setting that causes this? Does the damping unit load up the air sleeve to the point where it pushes oil, yet full compression on descend mode does not?

If it's holding air fine and fairly new, should I bother doing a "Air Sleeve" seal kit? Can I just open it up, clean thoroughly, pour a blister pack back in and run it?

Any input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
It's just the Float Fluid making its way out of the shock. Nothing to worry about..

Correlation is not causation here.

None of the damping fluid is making its way out. It would be a puddle as opposed to a simple ring around the damper body. You are fine.

If you were getting damper fluid out of the rear of the shock, you would notice a major affect on rebound/compression because that would mean that air is getting in and your damping would not work in parts of the stroke. It would be a very pronounced difference in the ride quality.

Continue with routine maintenance.

mk

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks trail for the reply.

Just read the service schedule/maintenance info and it says 40hrs (dry conditions) yet there is less then 5cc of fluid in it. Am I paranoid or does this seem like a long time for very little fluid?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shock was serviced per original owner right before I bought it, but the bike was barely ridden (assuming from grip/tire/drivetrain wear). I've put nearly 20 hrs on it.

I guess if I'm going to take the thing apart and figure it out, I might as well replace seals. I definitely need the peace of mind... thanks for the push.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I wouldn't service it if the shock is that new or recently serviced. Check the rebound adjustment to see if the shock is cycling properly. Dial it full + and see what it feels like then full -. If there is no difference, you have problems and need major service. If not, you are good to go. Don't bother with it until you get another 20-30 hours of riding in.

The 5cc of Float Fluid is to keep the seals wet and aid in sliding around. Those quad seals can generate quite a bit of stiction/friction so they should be kept lubed. When your rear shock STOPS weeping oil, it's time for a service. Going in there early kinda defeats the purpose.

Checking to see if the damper is functional should give you piece of mind.

mk

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another couple questions...

Does the float fluid in the air chamber provide any lubrication for the damping unit?

When the damper unit blows out, does it typically blow out at adjuster knobs (as I have read it can do) or does it typically blow into the air chamber?

I have a handle on the shock concepts but not the internal workings in detail...

Checked the damping functions including compression lockout and it seems fine. I still find it incredibly odd that it only pushes noticeable oil on pro-pedal but all is good... Have a seal kit on standby.

Thanks to all for the help!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Another couple questions...

Does the float fluid in the air chamber provide any lubrication for the damping unit?

When the damper unit blows out, does it typically blow out at adjuster knobs (as I have read it can do) or does it typically blow into the air chamber?

I have a handle on the shock concepts but not the internal workings in detail...

Checked the damping functions including compression lockout and it seems fine. I still find it incredibly odd that it only pushes noticeable oil on pro-pedal but all is good... Have a seal kit on standby.

Thanks to all for the help!
No, the float fluid has nothing to do with the damper. They are completely separate chambers.

All of the shock I've serviced either leak out the adjuster, suck air past shaft seal into damper, or ifp piston leaks air/nitrogen into the damper. The 2nd being the most common. I don't recall any shocks that have actually leaked damper fluid into the air chamber, but some of these other guys have seen a lot more shocks.

When you check the damper functions, lower the air pressure down to 50psi or so. The dimple in the air can that equalized the negative and positive chamber can give the sensation that there is a loss in damping as the air piston slides past it. Lower pressure lessens this effect. This is right at the top of the stroke which is usually where air bubble sit in the damper when the shock is mounted air big end high. The best way to do it is to remove the shock from frame and remove the air can, which completely eliminates any external influences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.