Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little word of warning, I just got one for my cross/gravel bike. It's a nice post, quite a bit lighter. I knew going into it that it was only full up or down. it's fully mechanical. It makes the drop and rise pretty sudden as there is no damping action. Not really a problem. The problem I've run into is the activation leverage is high, or rather the amount of force needed to activate is high. I can barely activate it with the thumb lever part of the SHimano Pro multiposition lever, the drop position is basically unusable. It requires so much force, it is not practical or safe to do while riding drops. The hood position is ok. It should be ok with most MTB levers unless you have thumb strength issues, then you might want to be cautious.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got mine about a month ago and I love it! Paired it with a wolftooth remote lever and the light activation lever option. It's actually a really light lever push and has been super consistent activating the post so far. It moves with a very solid thunk and is quite loud actually. It does seem to be sensitive to the seatpost clamping force and also will not always return to 100% extended if the seat contacts your leg on the way up. Otherwise, it's a massive improvement on my fat bike and has operated flawlessly down to about 20*f so far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Stuck it on the left side so the lever is under the bar. No issues to report. Got the light action lever because the Magura brake clamps were just about where I would have needed to clamp the remote lever. At the time I was buying it, I didn't realize that they made a specific version for integrating with magura clamps.. oh well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got mine about a month ago and I love it! Paired it with a wolftooth remote lever and the light activation lever option. It's actually a really light lever push and has been super consistent activating the post so far. It moves with a very solid thunk and is quite loud actually. It does seem to be sensitive to the seatpost clamping force and also will not always return to 100% extended if the seat contacts your leg on the way up. Otherwise, it's a massive improvement on my fat bike and has operated flawlessly down to about 20*f so far.
Firebanex...Any insight you can provide on the torque you are able to apply to the seat collar? I have two Transfer SL's and I am struggling with both. I cannot apply any torque or the post won't extend and I literally mean no torque. I can snug both bolts until they just contact their seats in the collar and the post will actuate. If I add 1-2nm of torque, the post won't extend.

Any thoughts given your experience and success?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, as I'm about 210lbs I can have seat post slippage and have found that I normally have to have a seat clamp at max to keep everything in place. I orginally did the seatpost clamp to almost 7nm as that's what mine calls for, but the post got really sticky feeling and didn't return to the up position. I ended up putting some parktool fiber grip on the seatpost and then tightening it up to the point where it still actuated freely. No issue with the post slipping or actuation problems since them. If I had to guess, its tightened to about 5-6nm now.

Otherwise.. its been working just fine even at about -15f now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, as I'm about 210lbs I can have seat post slippage and have found that I normally have to have a seat clamp at max to keep everything in place. I orginally did the seatpost clamp to almost 7nm as that's what mine calls for, but the post got really sticky feeling and didn't return to the up position. I ended up putting some parktool fiber grip on the seatpost and then tightening it up to the point where it still actuated freely. No issue with the post slipping or actuation problems since them. If I had to guess, its tightened to about 5-6nm now.

Otherwise.. its been working just fine even at about -15f now.

Strange....I too am using fiber grip and I torqued it to the lowest my torque wrench would go...2.25nm and it still would not return. What bike is this on and what type of clamp are you using? I am wondering if this post may be sensitive to the way in which the clamping force is applied.

·
Registered
85 Posts
9zero7 Tundra frame from a couple years ago. Uses what I assume is a pretty normal band clamp. I've never taken it apart, so I really don't know what's going on inside the post that might be binding up on you.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Reviving thread anyone using the Transfer SL for any length of time and have a good review (good, bad indifferent). Thinking about it for a Trek Supercal.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update, Fox has their own dropbar dropper lever now, similar design to the Shimano but the lever arm for thumb/drop position is much longer and no longer a problem to actuate. I just installed it and my knee is hurt so havent had a chance to try it on road/trail yet, but works fine in garage.
post has been trouble free so far. Just realize there is only full up or full down, and the actuation can be anlittle sudden since theres no hydraulics to dampen it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Going into the second winter season with mine. It sat unused for a good six months since the fat bike was hung up back in April, works absolutely flawlessly still. I've had it down to just about -40 last winter with zero issues. The only problem with the dropper is the first couple rides of the season when I'm not used to the two position nature of the dropper and I have a couple misfires in dropping and raising it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts