Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have deep understandings and practical experience of the two forks.
According to the web of Fox, it seems to me the talas has similar features of the float but the float does not have travel adjustment.
Yes, the talas is heavier than the float.
Other than this, is there any other reason why riders choose float, instead of the talas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Yes

I believe you've got it.

My bik came with the Float 100RLC and I recall asking the same of the bike shops, since I knew the next year the same bike came with the TALAS. Just like the Float (100RL, 100R, 100RLC), I think the TALAS comes with different features - could be wrong on that - so I'll let someone else take a shot at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,760 Posts
nope still comes in R RL and RLC configs

mtncrawler said:
I believe you've got it.

My bik came with the Float 100RLC and I recall asking the same of the bike shops, since I knew the next year the same bike came with the TALAS. Just like the Float (100RL, 100R, 100RLC), I think the TALAS comes with different features - could be wrong on that - so I'll let someone else take a shot at it.
you already pinned the noticable differences
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
ohvina said:
I don't have deep understandings and practical experience of the two forks.
According to the web of Fox, it seems to me the talas has similar features of the float but the float does not have travel adjustment.
Yes, the talas is heavier than the float.
Other than this, is there any other reason why riders choose float, instead of the talas?
TALAS stands for Travel Adjustable Linear Air Spring. In addition to the travel adjustment, the TALAS also has a more linear spring rate than does the Float. So, the TALAS more closely matches the feel of a coil sprung fork than does the Float (at least according to Fox).

You can see the spring rates compared here:

http://www.foxracingshox.com/website/TechnologyDesc.asp?Market=MBike&CategoryId=14&Id=13&count=6

Also, the Float is user serviceable, the TALAS is not. The adjustable travel feature adds complexity, which probably means more chance of something failing inside the fork. And, as you mentioned, the Float is lighter and cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in my place, the float is more expensive than the talas
this may be due to the fact that riders here prefer a light fork and therefore the demand of float is greater (many riders prefer rs sid)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, i was also told that the talas has a feel like coil spring
is such feeling good (as i have no experience with air spring)

regarding the serviceability, is it hard to maintain / service a talas fork? any experience?
thx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,558 Posts
ohvina said:
I don't have deep understandings and practical experience of the two forks.
According to the web of Fox, it seems to me the talas has similar features of the float but the float does not have travel adjustment.
Yes, the talas is heavier than the float.
Other than this, is there any other reason why riders choose float, instead of the talas?
TALAS feels way better than the Float due to the linear spring rate. My Float 100RLC is a 4" fork that feels like 3", since I never can really use the last inch of travel; the air spring ramps up too sharply. The TALAS however feels more like a coil fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Really?

For comparable (i.e. R vs RLC) models? Typically a TALAS R will be less expensive than a Float RLC, but comparing R's to R's or RLC's to RLC's I'd expect the Float would be less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
ohvina said:
yes, i was also told that the talas has a feel like coil spring
is such feeling good (as i have no experience with air spring)
I think it's a matter of personal preference. A linear spring may allow you to run a bit less sag and still get full travel, which may make the early part of the stroke a bit firmer. On the other hand, an aggressive rider may prefer a more progressive spring rate to prevent harsh bottoming on big hits, and yet still retain some small bump sensitivity. I think that's one of the reasons you see shocks with adjustable volume (larger volume = more linear). You can tune the spring rate to best match your own preferences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,937 Posts
DITTO to what Nat said. I have the Float and my buddy has the Talas. The Talas is FAR better for harsh riding because of the linear spring rate. I would not recommend the Float to anyone but heavyweights that actually need the progressiveness to prevent harsh bottoming. Fox should be slapped for not making the Float Forx with an adjustable air chamber like the do with their rear shocks.

G MAN

PS - Anyone wanna trade a TALAS for my Float RLC in MINT condition?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,558 Posts
Gman086 said:
DITTO to what Nat said. I have the Float and my buddy has the Talas. The Talas is FAR better for harsh riding because of the linear spring rate. I would not recommend the Float to anyone but heavyweights that actually need the progressiveness to prevent harsh bottoming. Fox should be slapped for not making the Float Forx with an adjustable air chamber like the do with their rear shocks.

G MAN

PS - Anyone wanna trade a TALAS for my Float RLC in MINT condition?
Have you also noticed that the TALAS is more reactive to small bumps too? The Float is spikier. It doesn't make sense, but there it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,937 Posts
I have and plan to switch to 5 wt oil and play with levels this weekend to see if I can improve the Float before I drop 600 bones on a Talas next week.

G MAN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Float is Still Better Than Most

Well,

It seems the TALAS is better than the FLOAT. But, I will say this, the FLOAT is awesome. My HT has a Duke XC and my Duallie has the FloatR L100. It is like comparing apples and oranges. The Float is much more linear, smoother,and I can control rough sections much better. So, in my book, the Fox line is just awesome. The New O5 Fox's even look sweeter. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
Fox Forx travel.

My Float 100 RLT feels the same way -- 3" instead of 4". It also measures about the same @ a mere 88 mm of travel. Now that it's getting broken in it tends to bob to much when out of the saddle too.

Have you ridden a Float 130? With the Fox Forx, do I need to get the 130 to get an honest 100 mm of travel?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top