Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just ride!
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Great and Wise MTB gurus!

My wonderful wife has granted me permission for a new fork! The fork will be replacing a RST shock! Yeah--she is great!

My dilemma is which fork to choose! I have narrowed the choices to either a new 05 Reba Team with U-turn 85-115 mm of travel or a new 05 Fox TALAS with 90-130 mm of travel.

The new fork is going on an 04 Specialized Enduro with the stock Fox Float RL rear shock with Propedal.

The fork will be used to ride singletrack with rough patches and rock gardens. I am not a huckster, nor do I attempt any large drops or jumps.

I have gained much insight and wisdom from the contributors on this website. I welcome all opinions and viewpoints--even the flaming ones seen on the Ellsworth boards :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Homebrew said:
I think the Revelation would be more appropriate on an Enduro. Same as the Reba but with a bit more travel (up to 130mm).
Definitely agree w/ HomeBrew here, RS definitely gets the nod over FOX. Although I LOVE my REBA the fact that the Enduro comes with a 130mm fork would also make me say the new Revelation 426 would suite then Enduro better than the REBA.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
The Revelation 426 U Turn !

Very nice fork, and I'm not just saying that because I own one ! :D Seriously, I just replaced my Fox Vanilla RLC 130 a while back with the Revelation 426 U Turn and am very pleased with it and for your intentions as stated it should serve you very well ! The price is much better than what's being asked for the Talas ( at least what I paid ) and performs well to boot ! TIG.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Fox FLOT RLC 130

It is very hard to beat and you also have access to PUSH upgrades. If you do not do much travel adjustment on the fly (whihc I find a bit of a pain) consider the Fox Float 130 RLC. The travel can be adjusted to any length you desire (need to disassamble the LL), otherwise identical to the Talas and lighter ...

I have a Vanilla PUSH 130 RLC and I could not be happier.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
tennessee17 said:
[Okay,

I have three votes for the Revelation, one for the TALAS, and one for the Reba. Any more feedback for the Talas and/or Reba?

Thanks!
I've gone from the 04 TALAS to the 06 TALAS on my 04 Enduro. I have no complaints about either of them. My Enduro is set to the high bottom bracket, and I usually ride with it in 4" rear travel mode, until I hit a good downhill. I usually run the TALAS turned down a few clicks (1-4), as it handles better for me.

Enduro seals are a must. I have them on the old TALAS (now on gf's bike). I wish I had bought them and installed before I put the 06 TALAS on my bike.

Having never ridden any other forks, I cannot say that it is better than others. But I can say it does not leave me wishing I had something else.

-Dan

·
Bunny Hugger
217 Posts
Fox TALAS

I have a Fox TALAS RLC on my Ellsworth Joker and an RS Reba Team on my Turner Burner and I like the TALAS much more than the Reba. The Fox is stiff, light, and plush. It has one air chamber so setting up is much easier. The Reba is stiff and light as well, but it is not as plush as the Fox. The dual-air chamber is also more of a pain to set up correctly. I tried the factory recommended air pressures and the fork felt very harsh. I eventually ended up using the 60/60 method and it brought the fork to life. 60/60 is where you put 60 percent of your body weight in the positive air chamber and 60 percent of the positive air volume in the negative air chamber. I weigh 160 so I put 100 psi in the positive chamber and 60 psi in the negative chamber. Price Point has the Fox Floats and Vanillas on sale right now, so that is also a good option. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I just purchased a Rock Shox Revelation 426 to replace a Talas. The Talas isn't a bad fork but I wasn't happy with it's lack of mid range damping. Talas always wanted to blow through it's travel or if you add some air pressure you couldn't use full travel--and yes I played with oil levels etc.

I think the dual air spring should be nice, internals look to be the same as the Pike which people rave about and you can pick up a Revelation a heck of a lot cheaper than a Talas from Larry at Mountain High Cyclery.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Homebrew said:
I think the Revelation would be more appropriate on an Enduro. Same as the Reba but with a bit more travel (up to 130mm).
One of Darren's underlings at Push rides and Enduro with a Revelation.
I think that fact speaks for itself.

Also, 2nd giving Larry a call at Mountain High. He will do you right!

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Revelation. It's cheaper and the quality is equal to the Fox. Though, are you really going to be reducing the travel? I think Talas is an expense you don't need for an option you won't use.

Perhaps an Marzocchi All Mountain SL 110-130 (or even the 130-150mm) would be a nice option, too. Performance has them on sale. The Enduro can handle a bit more travel I think than just 130mm.

Good Luck!

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
S-Works said:
One of Darren's underlings at Push rides and Enduro with a Revelation.
Really? The Enduro pic they just posted on their site with the Enduro upgrade shows a Fox fork. Maybe it is a different bike.

Either way, the RS is certainly the way to go on a price/performance spectrum. I really like my 05 TALAS, especially after the PUSH treatment but it certainly was pricey. Now I'm going the Pike route and see how that compares.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Jdub said:
Really? The Enduro pic they just posted on their site with the Enduro upgrade shows a Fox fork. Maybe it is a different bike.

Either way, the RS is certainly the way to go on a price/performance spectrum. I really like my 05 TALAS, especially after the PUSH treatment but it certainly was pricey. Now I'm going the Pike route and see how that compares.

That's not Matt's bike.

·
Just ride!
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello folks!

Thank you for all of the terrific input.

I ended up selecting the Reba Team U-turn.

I could not pass up the price. I also was unable to obtain a Talas without sacrificing a new born child, or one of my kidneys!

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Daniel

·
Just ride!
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I made the selection.......

and selected the Reba Team U-turn.

Once againm the members of this born provided valuable feedback to aid me in a mtb purchase!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback:)

Daniel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.