Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 FOX TALAS that I have never had any trouble with.

I week ago I took the bike to the LBS where I bought it for their free tuneup. Since I was well past the recommended oil change time, had that done as well. I have ridden the bike for two rides since then. The first was mellow and I had no problems. The second of those times was fairly nasty terrain. I stop riding and I have shock oil all over the right shock leg and on the rim.

If the LBS overfilled the shock with oil would it come out through the seals?

When the oil is changed in the shock do you have to mess with the seals?

·
Registered
462 Posts
They may have just put too much oil on the foam ring under the wipers. If this is true, the amount of oil that spews out should diminish. If it keeps coming out, then you probabley got some bad wipers (thats all there is holding in the oil!). Enduro makes some real good aftermarket seals for fox's. -t

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Something good to know is that the process of swapping the Fox seals is very straightforward and easy to do. It requires you to swap in new oil, though.

I suggest ordering the Enduro seals, which cost about the same as the stock Fox item, and also buying a quart of the 7.5wt fork oil (w/o seal softeners) from a motorcycle shop (same stuff, costs less than bike-lableled) so you can do the job in your garage. A marked syringe or metric measuring cup, plus your allen keys and a screwdriver are all you'll need for a job that will take a first-timer one hour.

·
18 years old
632 Posts
i have the same problem, just thought i would bump this up after doing a search. how would i change out the seals? or is it in the manual or something...

·
18 years old
632 Posts
just got back from a LBS. i robe my bike there :). the guy told me there was no way i can do it myself and it would take a week. 40 bucks in labor and 25 in seals. dont you just love it when men think they can steal money from kids?

·
otb club member
2,938 Posts
Very Important note on the TALAS:

Eric_H said:
I have an 03 FOX TALAS that I have never had any trouble with.

I week ago I took the bike to the LBS where I bought it for their free tuneup. Since I was well past the recommended oil change time, had that done as well. I have ridden the bike for two rides since then. The first was mellow and I had no problems. The second of those times was fairly nasty terrain. I stop riding and I have shock oil all over the right shock leg and on the rim.

If the LBS overfilled the shock with oil would it come out through the seals?

When the oil is changed in the shock do you have to mess with the seals?
You can change the oil and seals without even touching the TALAS side. In fact, DO NOT TOUCH THE TALAS SIDE. If you take it apart, you will have to send it in. All you have to do on the TALAS side us undo the foot nut at the bottom of the lowers. When the lowers are removed, you will see the compression rod sticking out of the stanchion. You don't have to do a thing with it other than shoot some oil in the lower leg when you re-assemble it (to lube the stanchion/bushing interface).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts