Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on an AM build, and I'm not sure what to do for the fork. I'm looking at Fox because that's what most bike manufactures use, but are Fox forks worth the price? Do you pay extra just for the name brand?

Can I get more shock for a better price if I look at Bomber or RockShox?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Fox may be the most you see OEM, but they are not even close to RockShox in the AM field. Heck, I think X Fusion is just as good and costs a lot less. Fox rarely get full travel and have a horrific mid-stroke spike. I take that back: one Fox fork I owned got full travel. It was like seeing a unicorn, could not believe my eyes.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
FOX worth the price?
ABSOLUTELY!
What's latest and greatest will shift from brand to brand and back again as the seasons go by.
There are lots of good suspension brands out there. Every one of them has successes and failures from time to time.
I ride a lot. Almost everyday. Lift serviced DH is my preference, but when the lifts aren't running I pedal.
Brands that allow me to maximize and enjoy ride time are what I prioritize.
I've had great products and service from several manufacturers over the years, but FOX has constantly done the extra work to keep me riding.
I maintain my equipment, and I ride a lot( at least I think I do)-60+ days in the bike park in the summer, spring and fall in Moab, Sedona/Vegas/AZ in winter, riding is all I want to do.
I break stuff.
Stuff wears out.
I'm pretty demanding of product performance and reliability.
I like FOX suspension.
I think their products offer easy maintenance and good adjustability in their stock forms. Not everything has been perfect, but for the most part their stock products meet my expectations.
Here's the kicker though-FOX has been ABSOLUTELY AWESOME for me in after purchase support and warranty.
Some of the things they've done for me:
-contacted me proactively about warranty issues. "Dear Mister Fatf**k who rides all the time. We noticed you purchased product x from us. We identified a problem with part x. Here's the upgrade/fix. Either send it in to us and we'll fix it under warranty or contact us if you want to do the work yourself." I contacted them and they sent me the replacement part and then threw in a new seal kit plus a full bottle suspension fluid at no charge. So, if you have a FOX product, register it with FOX.
-On more than one occasion they have priority shipped warranty work to me at no charge. I've contacted them, expressed my thoughts and opinions, sent the product in, and they have evaluated and fixed things right away and then overnighted stuff to me on their dime. I expect warranty support for the products I ride. I don't expect overnight shipment at no charge of replacement or repaired product, but FOX has done this for me more than once.
-I've sent product in to FOX for non warranty service and tuning. Everytime they have done additional work and identified and fixed problems that I wasn't aware of. Pricing has been excellent. Way cheaper than the retail price of the replacement parts alone. Plus, they warranty all their factory work. I think their factory service is a great deal for general maintenance and repair.
-you can talk to a live human at FOX. Of course some employees are more invested and interested than others, but they will deal directly with the public. Their warranty and service department has called me during repairs and maintenance to make sure they completely understand what I wanted done. I've received calls from the tech working on my stuff while it's on the workbench to go through the specifics of what they see and what they think needs done. "I've got your shock/fork here. I just want to check with you and make sure I get this fixed right". They've never treated me like an idiot who doesn't know or understand suspension or who has unrealistic expectations of performance.
-I was riding a 2014 Float 180 for several months problem free-over 100 days of riding. I did several of the scheduled services on the fork. One day I noticed a weird feeling and heard a ping on high speed hits. At the end of the ride I saw a slight vertical scratch on the stanchion. On the next ride the scratch was worse. I contacted FOX by email that weekend and told them I was hoping to leave a week from Monday for a road trip. On Monday I had an RA and I sent the product in UPS ground. On Friday I had a fork with new CSU, new bushings, new seals, and full rebuild. No charge to me for the rush shipping.
For the amount I ride, I consider FOX reliability and durability to be excellent. When there are warranty issues they go above and beyond to make things right.
I have a bunch of bikes with mix of FOX, Rock Shox, and Marz suspension. All have their strengths and weaknesses, but I can't fault FOX at all in the support and service department.
I hate missing a ride or having to alter a roadtrip. FOX has yet to let me down.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
A lot of companies have great customer service, I dont think thats what this is about.

From a technical standpoint, Fox Evo stuff is very expensive compared to the performance you get in return. We are talking about port orifice dampers and plastic internals on forks in the $800 range. The Fit stuff is much better in terms of performance, but the price goes way up too.

When the Question comes up "Is fox worth the price", the simple answer is No. Simply because you can get the same performance and in many instances, better performance, from other brands for less money.

If the question was, "Does fox make better then average suspension", then its easy to answer yes. But that wasnt the question. Performance wise, depending on the type of suspension I was looking for, I dont know I would rank fox in the top 2.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Price can be different for everyone.
Industry deal vs. retail, OEM takeoff vs closeout, retailer discount/coupon/rewards for example.
It's rare that any smart consumer needs to pay full msrp for a product these days.
I tend to look at suspension value in performance over the entire time I ride it, not just the initial purchase price.
Lots of variables-what price are you actually paying? What level of product performance did you purchase? How long will you be riding the product? How much ride time will the product actually see?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
From a technical standpoint, Fox Evo stuff is very expensive compared to the performance you get in return. We are talking about port orifice dampers and plastic internals on forks in the $800 range. The Fit stuff is much better in terms of performance, but the price goes way up too.

When the Question comes up "Is fox worth the price", the simple answer is No. Simply because you can get the same performance and in many instances, better performance, from other brands for less money.
I feel the same way. There was a time when Fox was worth the price premium, that time was sometime between 5-10 years ago. RS, Manitou, X-fusion, Cane Creek and others have now caught up to and in many cases surpassed Fox in terms of performance, and often at lower prices as well. Since I value performance & reliability above all else, Fox just isn't worth the price to me.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
I feel the same way. There was a time when Fox was worth the price premium, that time was sometime between 5-10 years ago. RS, Manitou, X-fusion, Cane Creek and others have now caught up to and in many cases surpassed Fox in terms of performance, and often at lower prices as well. Since I value performance & reliability above all else, Fox just isn't worth the price to me.
exactly... Fox is a good basic quality fork,.. for a premium price. Xfusion or Manitou are the best $$$-performance Rock Shox not much better than Fox but is well distributed as it's like the #1 OEM fork. But, I've owned 2 forks and 3 shocks for Rock Shox.. all had issues.. 2 in the 1st month of ownership.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just spent $850 on a '14 Van RC2 180. I would be interested if someone can point me to a similar quality fork that is not similarly priced. In my opinion, the pricing of Fox products relative to similar tier suspension from other manufacturers seems a bit exaggerated.

·
EDR
10,707 Posts
I think the Vanilla (Van) has been a quality and stable product for them for a long time. But that is their coil fork offering. If you want an air fork that rarely uses more than 80 percent of the travel then Fox is the way to go. They have a long history of mid stroke spikiness and getting less than full travel. Blown seals and stanchions that get all fubared up.

Short answer. No. I moved to rock shox back in 2005 and have never looked back. Their new stuff is quite expensive though. I bought a pike back in 2005 for around $400, that fork today easily costs twice as much if not more.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think the Vanilla (Van) has been a quality and stable product for them for a long time. But that is their coil fork offering. If you want an air fork that rarely uses more than 80 percent of the travel then Fox is the way to go. They have a long history of mid stroke spikiness and getting less than full travel.

Short answer. No. I moved to rock shox back in 2005 and have never looked back. Their new stuff is quite expensive though. I bought a pike back in 2005 for around $400, that fork today easily costs twice as much if not more.
So what if it is coil? Do other manufacturers make similar quality coil forks at a significantly lower cost?

·
EDR
10,707 Posts
So what if it is coil? Do other manufacturers make similar quality coil forks at a significantly lower cost?
I don't know. I bought my RockShox Lyrik coil back in 2008. I have been riding it to this day with no reason to buy another fork. Its on its second frame now. At the time I paid $700 for it. No, they are not cheap.

I prefer coil Forks. The van is the only offering from Fox I would consider. If for some reason I felt a need for an air fork I would buy from anyone other than Fox. Namely Rock Shox or the new Manitou offerings or some of the other stuff that I've heard good things about but am not familiar with.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What don't you like about your van?
I have not even ridden it yet. My point was that people exaggerate Fox's prices. Although they lack an expansive budget line-up, their prices are comparable to similar tier products from other manufacturers. I was saying I just spent $850 on a new Fox, and according to some here, I just got ripped off. So to them I ask - What fork comparable to the 180 Van RC2 could I have purchased at a significantly lower price?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have not even ridden it yet. My point was that people exaggerate Fox's prices. Although they lack an expansive budget line-up, their prices are comparable to similar tier products from other manufacturers. I was saying I just spent $850 on a new Fox, and according to some here, I just got ripped off. So to them I ask - What fork comparable to the 180 Van RC2 could I have purchased at a significantly lower price?
I agree with you. A rs totem cost just as much. A new Pike is around 900. A new vengeance is around 850. It's all in the same ball park.

·
EDR
10,707 Posts
. I was saying I just spent $850 on a new Fox, and according to some here, I just got ripped off. ?
I don't think you got ripped off at all. New top of the line forks are very expensive across the board. I am only saying that I would not spend $900 on a Fox air fork. Personally I would look elsewhere (irr)regardless of cost.

I'm a fan of adjustable travel forks. And I think the Fox Talas might have the worst reputation of them all in its price range.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,328 Posts
Exactly. Fox used to use decent dampers in all of their forks, and the only difference was that the more expensive ones had "more adjustments", but they both had the same high/low speed damping circuits.

This is no longer the case. Fox has significantly cheapened their lower-but-still-expensive-line Evo forks with damper units like were prevalent in the late 90s and early 2000s. This and they flat out refused to seal their forks with proper oil seals for so many years, finally coming up with a "solution", but they could have handled it the exact same way any of the other companies did.

All this while manitou, RS and marzocchi have significantly stepped up their game. As far as the rear shocks, pretty poor, but they are good at OEM production and making a lot of "the same" shocks. The DHX never really flowed enough oil on high speed stuff, but at least it felt pretty consistent. The DHX Air was horrible, blowing through travel with no midstroke support. The RP3s didn't even have proper damping valves/shims, and fox makes the XC stuff with "propedal" and "CTD" settings, but they refuse to give you the same kind of adjustability on an air shock as you get on a high end coil shock.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.