Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of magazines detailing how to grease an air sleeve on fox float rear shock, the question is, it is possible to do it without the rebuilt kit(o rings, gaskets) just re greasing my same stuff? how possible is that after i mess with it, something goes wrong and then will need the rebuilt kit for sure? if i don't have slick honey grease, will it work fine with teflon grease from finish line or some prep M from manitou?
how many times have u done this and how often?
thanks.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
checocc said:
I have a couple of magazines detailing how to grease an air sleeve on fox float rear shock, the question is, it is possible to do it without the rebuilt kit(o rings, gaskets) just re greasing my same stuff? how possible is that after i mess with it, something goes wrong and then will need the rebuilt kit for sure? if i don't have slick honey grease, will it work fine with teflon grease from finish line or some prep M from manitou?
how many times have u done this and how often?
thanks.
All you really need is Float Fluid, which in reality is fully synthetic gear oil. Some people chose to use heavy fork oil. All that fluid does is lubricate things and helps keep the air seal. You don't need to replace the seals every time.

_MK

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I disagree.

A seal kit is worth it, if you are already rebuilding the shock anyways. I am sure, if you are careful, that the old seals will work for a bit, but it is not worth it IMO.

Slick Honey of Float FLuid work fine.
If you buy a seal kit, you get Float Fluid with it.

DO NOT USE BEARING GREASE, OR LUBE!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I lube my air sleeve once a year which is general maintenance and should'nt require a rebuild each time.
My float is 3yrs old,performs like new and has yet to be rebuilt.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
On my dhx air, I have been doing the Tscheezy maint. schedule and it is working fine. If you are unsure what I am talking about it is simply opening up the sleeve and putting a combo of slick honey and 15wt. fork oil on the seals. Be generous! Then put it all back together and do it again in a couple of months (3-4) or when you see no more ooze on the body of the shock.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
be350ka said:
On my dhx air, I have been doing the Tscheezy maint. schedule and it is working fine. If you are unsure what I am talking about it is simply opening up the sleeve and putting a combo of slick honey and 15wt. fork oil on the seals. Be generous! Then put it all back together and do it again in a couple of months (3-4) or when you see no more ooze on the body of the shock.
Is slick Honey such a good idea?

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
blackagness said:
Is slick Honey such a good idea?
Why not? Are you thinking that it is to thick? I mix it with fork oil to make a slushy mess that has kept my shock from suffering from the stuck down plague for quite some time.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Precisly...

be350ka said:
Why not? Are you thinking that it is to thick? I mix it with fork oil to make a slushy mess that has kept my shock from suffering from the stuck down plague for quite some time.
And yeah it sounds like it would work, and yours is living proof. I wish I would have known about that the other night when I performed the service. I almost put some SLK Hny in there" and wanted too", I didn't think about mixing it. :thumbsup:

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
blackagness said:
And yeah it sounds like it would work, and yours is living proof. I wish I would have known about that the other night when I performed the service. I almost put some SLK Hny in there" and wanted too", I didn't think about mixing it. :thumbsup:
I actually go a little heavier on the fork oil than the slick honey. It gives you a nice mix that allows the oil to do its lubricating job and the honey "sticks" it to the seals longer. If that makes any sense.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
just a note....if you need the rebuild kit order early. I have been waiting on a kit (LBS ordered) for two weeks now. I guess Fox changed their computer system recently and are way behind on getting stuff out.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
jthuma1 said:
just a note....if you need the rebuild kit order early. I have been waiting on a kit (LBS ordered) for two weeks now. I guess Fox changed their computer system recently and are way behind on getting stuff out.
Yeah, that's right. I ordered some DU bushings and reducers from them a couple weeks back and they told me exactly that and that it will take a little while for them to catch up.

_MK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.