Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
If you have not pulled the trigger yet, I would HIGHLY suggest going the route of a solid reducer instead of the two peice (garbage IMO) stock Fox parts. THese http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=19939&category=136 are FAR superior (better sealing, better material for the purpose, wont flex or gall like the aluminum parts, and will help prevent mount bolt stress/bending) that the aluminum two peice set-up and will last forever (the RS parts are also nicer and less $$ than the similar marzocchi parts).

BTW, while you are replacing the reducers (the 'durable part') then you will certainly need new bushings (the wear part) as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What a timely thread...

...as I just pulled my shock off as part of my offseason maintenance program and you guys have given me several ideas.
Maybe those of you with experience in this area could answer a few questions?
My mounting reducers fit pretty snug in the shock eyelets and the wear pattern on the reducers and on my frame's shock mount suggest that the reducers move with the shock rather than the shock bushings turning around the reducers.
Is this correct?
I ask because I don't understand exactly how the bushings wear.
I would like to replace the reducers which looks easy, but not sure I want to try and replace the bushings. Would this be a mistake?
I'm leaning towards the Rock Shox mounting hardware and any additional suggestions would be appreciated. (The Enduro kit is intriguing also but it looks like you need to buy their bushing tool for an extra $50)
Thank you,
CK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
The reducers are meant to stay fixed while the shock eyelet + bushing is supposed to pivot around the reducer.

_MK

·
Registered
198 Posts
MK_ said:
The reducers are meant to stay fixed while the shock eyelet + bushing is supposed to pivot around the reducer.

That is what I thought but because the reducers fit so snugly in the bushings, it makes me wonder if that is what really is happening.
Also, upon further review, it seems that the Rock Shox Vivid mount kit does not come in the exact sizes (width) I need.
Does anyone know if a slightly larger size can be easily shortened?
Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.