Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some kid of mechanism out there that can be mounted on the handlebars or elsewhere that can change the setting on the rear shock to enable or disable propedle without reaching down?

·
Registered
24 Posts
ir12daveor said:
Why is reaching down such a problem?
If you have ever had locked out your folks and had pro pedal 3 on you rear shock and then found yourself speeding down a very rough track you will know why. There is no way that I would be messing about, losing balance and taking my hands off the bars.

But does it exist?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

But I went from having handle bar mounted rock shox lockouts for front and back to the fox method, and to be honest I don't miss the handlebar mounts. I juts make sure I am open when it gets technical.

Come to think of it, I rarely close it in the first place. and thats the whole point of propedal, its not the end of the world if you forget. Wait till you get a chance and then flick it over. Front lockout is a different story.

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
damianxp3 said:
I may try this using a rockshock lockout lever.

http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149325
Good idea using the shock valve, although having to partly dismantle the cable in order to check shock pressure would be a pain.

I toyed with the idea of replacing the lever with a cam/pulley and on my 575 could use the top shock mount for a cable stop. I've never worked out why Fox doesn't offer a remote.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
if you're crafty i suppose you could try something with a front shifter's 3 positions and replace the lever. but you have to be really crafty

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
saturnine said:
if you're crafty i suppose you could try something with a front shifter's 3 positions and replace the lever. but you have to be really crafty
i think there's a recent thread around here where someone rigged something like that up.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I have no need for such a device....

Basically when I get to the top of the hill, I flip the lever, extend the front fork, and check that the quick releases are tight, then I bomb the hill....

simple.

·
Registered
61 Posts
kiwirider said:
Good idea using the shock valve, although having to partly dismantle the cable in order to check shock pressure would be a pain.

I toyed with the idea of replacing the lever with a cam/pulley and on my 575 could use the top shock mount for a cable stop. I've never worked out why Fox doesn't offer a remote.
From the farkin link - any idea if the_duke1234 has refined his design any further?

Just off the top of my head I'm not too keen on butchering the shock valve. I'm thinking maybe a mounting bracket / tab to hang above or below the valve, could slip over the shock valve and be locked down with a nut ... hopefully thin enough that you could leave everything in place and still have enough threads left on the shock valve so that you could attach your shock pump.

Not sure what the cable path would look like thru the full travel of the platform lever with that though.

Might even be able to mount a bracket to reach over from the top shock mount?

edit - I just checked and a cable mount tab just underneath the air valve would give a straighter cable path than using the actual air valve itself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone tried anything on this?

I'm leaning towards trying something using a longer upper shock mount bolt on a Blur LT2 to anchor some sort of bracket and comng from the left side to reach the platform lever. Don't want to get messy with the air valve and the whole thing would tuck in tighter out of the way.

Anything better suited than the Pop Loc for the handle bar switch?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ummm .... where was the lighting director when this was shot?

Anyone got a clear idea? It appears to be some sort of bracket arm coming off the upper shock mount to anchor the cable or noodle? But it appears to be .... wrapped in black electrical tape or something?

Also, what is the black piece on the shock itself sandwiched between the red circular piece and the blue 3-position ProPedal dial? The ProPedal lever is supposed to be blue. Did he fashion his own lever ... or is this just another Fox model with a black lever?

Seems to be a cleaner design than drilling the schrader valve. And he at least put in washers at either end of the spring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well .... I still haven't gotten around to putting something together. Not totally thrilled about having a giant PopLoc switcher sitting on top of my bars waiting to get trashed the next time I yard sale it.
Since Sea Otter is coming up I think I'll wait another week or two and maybe Fox will have taken the hint and done the work for us.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did anyone notice the remote lockout on the 2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.8? I can't find a good picture of it to tell what shock it has. A friend of mine has a 2009 9.8 and it has has a RP23. I'm not sure about the 2011.

Anyone?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.