Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is causing this oil leak? I just purchased a used frame and the seller did not mention an oil leak! I pulled the propedal to turn the dial and oil starts sspewing out. I have attached pictures, is this shock toast? How much does it cost to fix this?

Attachments

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
gio said:
i think it can easily be fixed, just buy the oil ring kit and do an overhaul, should easily find video tutorial + read the manual.
If it was leaking from the air can, perhaps.

But the problem here is that the knob is leaking, and I have yet to see an overhaul vid that covers removing these knobs. Probably best to call Fox or Push.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Here's your likely cause...there is the smallest of small "O"rings made out of what appears to be urethane.

Over the last couple of months every version of RP I have overhauled has had this "O"ring dissolved or softened to goo.

The repair is a complete and I mean complete teardown. Not just a typical replace the main shaft seal but the shaft must be removed from the end fitting, along with all knobs, adjuster shafts and associated seals.

I had one where the owner tried to just clean the dirt from the adjusters and was able to remove the adjuster shaft. Even this won't get you where the leak is and will only do more damage.

Unless you know suspension and have all the special tools, you'll have to get it repaired by a suspension shop.

PK

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I just found out what you said PMK. I called a local shop and the guy said yea that's not good and they cannot fix that. It needs to go to Fox or PUSH industries.

I am so pissed off that the guy sold me this frame with a busted shock, and he had no mention of it. If he isn't going to cover the cost to fix of the shock rebuild, its time to open a case with PayPal.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Neu5p3ed said:
Yea, I just found out what you said PMK. I called a local shop and the guy said yea that's not good and they cannot fix that. It needs to go to Fox or PUSH industries.

I am so pissed off that the guy sold me this frame with a busted shock, and he had no mention of it. If he isn't going to cover the cost to fix of the shock rebuild, its time to open a case with PayPal.

Thanks for all the help.
Post back what they charge for the overhaul. Just curious to see how I'm doing price wise.

PK

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PMK said:
Post back what they charge for the overhaul. Just curious to see how I'm doing price wise.

PK
I just got an e-mail back from PUSH sales and he said that this problem is fixed under the "Factory Rebuild". So $109 + shipping. Same price listed on their website.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PMK said:
Here's your likely cause...there is the smallest of small "O"rings made out of what appears to be urethane.

Over the last couple of months every version of RP I have overhauled has had this "O"ring dissolved or softened to goo.

The repair is a complete and I mean complete teardown. Not just a typical replace the main shaft seal but the shaft must be removed from the end fitting, along with all knobs, adjuster shafts and associated seals.

I had one where the owner tried to just clean the dirt from the adjusters and was able to remove the adjuster shaft. Even this won't get you where the leak is and will only do more damage.

Unless you know suspension and have all the special tools, you'll have to get it repaired by a suspension shop.

PK
Question for you again.

Seems like you've worked with many, from your reply. Now is this a common problem and how long does a shock usually go before this seal blowing again? Am I going to have to do this every year?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Neu5p3ed said:
Question for you again.

Seems like you've worked with many, from your reply. Now is this a common problem and how long does a shock usually go before this seal blowing again? Am I going to have to do this every year?
Honestly, this type failure has just recently started. I'm guessing it has taken that long for the "O"rings to soften from the fluid and fail.

My speculation is that with Fox now using Silkolene fluids the Silkolene is the culprit. It is pretty powerful stuff, but also a great fluid for rear dampers.

I have used Silkolene in many Moto and Bicycle components over the years. Sometimes crazy thing like this happened.

As for will it need to be done each year, well, if you ride the bike any amount of miles, you should have the rear damper serviced twice per year. They hold almost no fluid and they see a lot of fluid breakdown.

In addition, and this happened just a couple of weeks ago, a guy wanted his leaky fork and shock rebuilt. Without even taking them apart, the wear from grit was so severe I handed them back and told him they were junk. Had he done routine services, he may have been fine, but he just kept riding until he killed them.

PK

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Neu5p3ed said:
I just got an e-mail back from PUSH sales and he said that this problem is fixed under the "Factory Rebuild". So $109 + shipping. Same price listed on their website.
If they hold that price and guarantee no leaks it's fair.

PK

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I recently had my rp23 fail in a bad way at that same spot.
Mine was not just dripping or pooling up a little, it spewed ALL the damper fluid out and onto my frame.
The shock had maybe 10 rides on it.
I called fox and had it repaired under warranty.
If it happens again, I'll be sending it in to PUSH.
There were no signs of it leaking beforehand. It just gave way.
I have another rp23 that has over 1000 miles on it and not a single problem.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
savagemann said:
I recently had my rp23 fail in a bad way at that same spot.
Mine was not just dripping or pooling up a little, it spewed ALL the damper fluid out and onto my frame.
The shock had maybe 10 rides on it.
I called fox and had it repaired under warranty.
If it happens again, I'll be sending it in to PUSH.
There were no signs of it leaking beforehand. It just gave way.
I have another rp23 that has over 1000 miles on it and not a single problem.
The difference in the seals longevity is I believe on account of Fox going to Silkolene products. The newer units failing have all had Silkolene, it's obvious from Silkolenes unique smell.

BTW, this is just adds more complexity to repairing these dampers. Old days, this seal would last, so rebuilds were simple and straight forward, now extra care is needed when removing the upper fitting since heat is required to free the loctite and the shaft must be clamped without damaging it.

I'm not sure how Push does these, but I have had to make special tools to install the "O"ring and get the shafts installed without damaging the "O"ring during reassembly.

FWIW, the "O"ring has about a 1mm ID and .5mm cross section.

PK

·
Undercaffienated
323 Posts
Neu5p3ed said:

Thanks for all the help.
So is this the shock on the Sette Ace frame you posted about having the wrong size shock reducers in that other thread? The guy who sold you this frame is such a jerk. Definitely open a case with Paypal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.