Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you plan on getting the new Fox roller bearing kit 8x30mm for your rear coil shock (DHX2 coil), be aware that if you have to change spring weight, you will need to remove the bearing kit. To remove these pressed in bearings, you will need a special bearing removal tool from Fox. That tool is $110, and good luck finding it in stock! The spring will NOT fit over the bearing kit. Also, if installing the bearing kit, make sure you put on the spring, and all corresponding hardware first. Kind of a huge pain in the a$$ if you ask me. Thought I would warn you guys.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Damn, that's a bummer. I have a set coming for my X2, but guessing it's so big the air can will slip over it.

Too bad, my RS SD Ultimate coil that came with my Mega has the bearing set up on the bottom, but the spring will fit over that specific setup. I think RS springs have a larger ID than Fox though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Fox could have made the bearing kit a little smaller, or included the removal tool with the kit. It doesn’t make sense that you would need a $110 removal tool just to change a spring. May be a good idea to use the regular bushing kit first until you get your spring rate dialed in, then when your absolutely sure, install the bearing kit.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Hmmm, did you grease the eyelet and everything before you installed it? I noticed the Fox guidelines for install mentioned/showed this.
My LBS installed it when I bought the shock. They had to take it apart and re-lube it once already. However, I got the shock and bearing kit a month or two before the bearing kit was officially released...so there is a chance my LBS didn't have the proper instructions.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We are making a ball bearing eyelet kit for the DHX2 that is more robust than the Fox kit and allows removal of the spring without taking off the eyelet. We've actually been riding it since March and have just been taking our sweet time to get it out there. It'll be more expensive than the Fox one since we don't do the quantities they do, but no special tools required besides a 9 mm shaft clamp for installation!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can remove with pliers, but will scratch the outer surface. Best to just remove and buy another bearing kit for $30 vs $100 for the removal tool.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I managed to get it out by using a drill bit (or anything which would match the diameter of the inner housing and is smaller than than the inside diameter of the bearing) and a hammer. Gave it one or two good taps with a hammer and one side came flying out. Did the same to the other side and placed the inner housing between the bearing and the drill bit - taping it out from the inside of the eyelet. I would call this a very ghetto way of getting them out, but it worked for me. Pliers would also work I guess, but I didn’t want to scratch the housing.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I ended up losing one of the bearing caps or spacers, which then makes your shock turn into a big door stop. I haven't been able to find a replacement without having to order an entire new bearing kit.

I also ghetto removed mine without the special tools, but it wasn't easy. Luckily I still had my 30mm RWC bearing kit so I put that back on.

@ coolatt: It's not bike specific, it'll work for bikes that use 30x8 hardware.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Put one on this weekend with a bench vise and lots of grease.

The RWC unit it is replacing died after one year of service. The fox unit looks much tougher.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Oh memories, yeah removing it without the proper tool was a PITA, I ruined one of the shields in the process, or maybe both I have to check. If I have a good one, I can send it to you, I also have a spare full kit I never re-installed because it didn't feel any different on my 5010.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am in the process of doing a seal replacement on my DPS with the bearings....what if we all chip in on this fancy fox tool and then ship it to each other? Sort of like an honor code type library haha. Removing these is pissing me off.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts