Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· i should be working
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got an RC on my stinky and i keep bending the top pivot bolt from bottoming. I can get the correct sag with the spring so i dont know if i should get a heavier one. to prevent bottoming out i have to put the compression damping really high and it doesnt feel right when compared to the front. on front i have a JrT w/ 10 wt oil and whatever comes in it stock for springs. it only bottoms once and awhile. should i get a heavier spring for the rear or stiffin up the front to match the rear with high compressin settings? would a PUSH overhaul help with bottoming?

· Banned
1,608 Posts
what's ur weigh and what spring rate are u using ?

I'm 160+ and have a 700lbs. in my RC... still bottoming but not as often .

· Glad to Be Alive
42,881 Posts
rpl3000 said:
i've got an RC on my stinky and i keep bending the top pivot bolt from bottoming. I can get the correct sag with the spring so i dont know if i should get a heavier one. to prevent bottoming out i have to put the compression damping really high and it doesnt feel right when compared to the front. on front i have a JrT w/ 10 wt oil and whatever comes in it stock for springs. it only bottoms once and awhile. should i get a heavier spring for the rear or stiffin up the front to match the rear with high compressin settings? would a PUSH overhaul help with bottoming?
heavier spring comes to mind......call the guys at Push and ask them the question

· Pro Crastinator
12,430 Posts
too much bottoming = get a stiffer spring....

sag is just a plain blanket way to determine if you have the correct spring rate. anytime i've had the "correct" sag, my shock will bottom off anything over 4 feet.
sag is for measuring spring rate on trail type conditions (i.e. - no airtime)....

· i should be working
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm 185 and the spring is a 550#. came stock on a stinky d-lux. the spring rate really depends on the leverage ratio of the suspension design. so comparisons might not be valid unless the ratios are in the same ballpark.

the DHX has the bottom out adjust which sounds nice, but probably just the right setup would negate the need for this. besides and suspension $$ is going into the fork.

example: to get the correct sag for me on an RM7, 950#. from what i've read or heard bullits can use much 'lighter' springs.

· Banned
1,608 Posts
rpl3000 said:
i'm 185 and the spring is a 550#. came stock on a stinky d-lux. #. from what i've read or heard bullits can use much 'lighter' springs.
I used to have a Stab w/550 srping and with my 160lbs. I bottoming out like nothing...try a 650 or 700lbs. spring and you'll see the diference.

· Registered
23,745 Posts
have you got it on the rising rate or straight rate??

rpl3000 said:
Konas have two lower shock mounts. The outter one is for a straight rate suspension and the inside mount provides a rising rate or progressive. I suspect you have it on the straight rate. Generally manufacturers supply springs on bikes that will work with 90% of the riders who will buy that size frame. If you are unusually fat for your height you may need to increase spring weight.

Ideally you should be running as little Compression damping as possible with Rebound set slow enough to stop you being pitched over the bars after a full comression.

Good luck

· i should be working
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i moved it to the rising rate hole a few months ago after the first busted bolt. i do buy my frames a tad on the small side because of my BMX background so maybe thats it. regardless, a heavier spring is the cheapest try and probably the problem.

i have a good feel as to setting the rebound (i only wish you could set the rebound to be quick during the initial part of the stroke and slower at the other end like after a huge hit), but what about compression? just set it with what feels right? does anyone know if the compression damping is linear through the stroke or does it rise to prevent bottoming out? thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.