Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see from the pictures that an HD was being used to show off the Fox Racing Shox DOSS Seat Post at Interbike.

I’ve been holding out for one of these for what feels like a lifetime so Im starting to think I should just go for the Reverb.

Anyone have any idea when this will be released to the public or any real world details?

All I know is that it has the below spec:

• 100mm and 120mm travel options
• 40mm intermediate setting
• Two-position system

From the look of the photos its cable not hydraulic. Is that right?

Attachments

·
screamer
1,396 Posts
KS LEV looks promising

Yes, liking the design & specs of the KS LEV much better. Hopefully they'll get their reliability issues sorted out also.

Plus, if Lopes has been riding one, it must be cool.

PS: Still running strong on my 4-year old Precision AMP post that has never needed service, and waiting patiently for FSA to re-release it (once they resolve the side-side play issues). Why they are waiting so long to get the posts back on the market, when it is clearly such a hot sector, is beyond me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The problem with Lev is the RRP of nearly US$400, hopefully retailers will be able to sell it for a more competitive price.

I am also keeping an eye on the Specialized command post as this seems reasonably reliable.

Budgie, forgot all about the AMP, wonder what FSA are up to with it?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The problem with Lev is the RRP of nearly US$400, hopefully retailers will be able to sell it for a more competitive price.

I am also keeping an eye on the Specialized command post as this seems reasonably reliable.

The specialized command post has been rock solid. Both the blacklite and non blacklite versions. I have been riding them hard, and have had zero issues with them. If I were to wage a bet I would say that the internals on the fox are pretty similar to the command post, in fact it would not surprise me, if Fox was somehow linked to the design/manufacture of the command post.
My Reverbs on the other hand have been nothing but trouble. Thanks to my LBS I was finally able to get my money back, after repeated issues and multiple replacement posts.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not Sure...

I don't get the Fox logic. If it's just a three position how is it better than the most reliable adj, post, Gravity Dropper? And the GD has better cable position, on the lower.

I'm looking to replace my KS which is at KS (I think cuz they don't answer any form of communication). KS's quality seems hit or miss, I have 3 year old one which has been bomber, and one that has failed after a few months. Reverb - one LBS nearby actively dissuades people from buying these from them cuz they always have to return them. Dunno, maybe back to GD.

·
screamer
1,396 Posts
Yeah, I'd love to hear what's up there. Given that it was the second or third adjustable post on the market (after the GD & Maverick), they really did a great job on the design and would only need a couple more tweaks to update:
  1. Keyed outer tube instead of ball bearings to reduce slop & rotation
  2. Diameters for current seatpost sizes (used to come in 27.2 only) which would help make #1 possible
  3. Throw a couple ID hours at the lever to improve ergonomics & aesthetics
  4. Issue a special line of faux snakeskin sleeves instead of the cheeseball c.1997 neoprene
  5. Hire a sexy enduro pro to schill the schitt out of it

Otherwise, it was light (475g), reliable, easy to maintain at home, strong, no weird cable/hose contortions, and worked like a charm. If you aren't wedded to infinite adjustability, it's a slam-dunk competitor with anything out there right now.

In summary, get on it, FSA!

·
Registered
430 Posts
When buying a product looks are always the most important thing to base your decision on.
That's why we ride Mojo's right ;)

I wonder why FSA is sitting on their purchase, c'mon it's been years now.

The 2012 X Fusion post has had a 45 gram diet and increased to 125mm drop, don't hear much about them though, not sure if that's is good or bad.

·
602 Posts
Doh!

I agree, that DOSS trigger looks pretty lame. I don't (can"t) look at the trigger when I need it to work. Clearly this is a proto, and anything can change, but I'm not into that dual trigger concept at all. The Rumor article references an alternate lever for the entry level SKU, so hopefully that will be better.

Let's hope that it's compact and DURABLE.

Honestly I still think that the original Speedball trigger was the best. My reverb is troublesome and the trigger is already bent.

Good luck FOX, I hope that the DOSS is a rock solid product.

Porch

·
Unpredictable
2,257 Posts
I am a bit confused about dropper posts. I have a Joplin, which has been perfect since being rebuilt after failing:nono:, but why hydraulics and pneumatics? Why aren't they all just a simple, light spring mechanism. I know the guts are pretty intricate, but why use less reliable technology if something simpler and less temperamental (and expensive) will do? Do we need damping under our butt?

·
The MTB Lab
3,087 Posts
The DOSS trigger actually works pretty well. Push the inner paddle of the lever and weight the saddle to drop to the middle position, push both or the outer to lower to the bottom spot. The actuation of the adjustment is very much like the Specialized Control Post. I liked how the system worked, and I am loking forward to trying out the final edition.

It should available around Sea Otter time? And I very much doubt it will have Kashima, since it would increase the cost with virtually no benefits.

I'll have a daily coverage on the DOSS for MTBR.com Interbike section shortly.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hydro posts (KS, Joplin) can stop anywhere in the travel while spring posts (GD, AMP) stop at preset incriments. After using both types I'm not sure the reliabiity issues on hydro posts are worth it over a GD type (plus 1 for wanting AMP to reappear).

Not to stray of the OP but does my carbon frame care if the post is shimmed? Would give me some options.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.