Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look:

http://www.foxracingshox.com/protune/index.php

Basically you try to tune your shock at home with some lame videos, then if something doesn't work right for your tastes you send the shock/fork in for a "Protune" which is a complete rebuild and tinkering (video doesn't talk about valving but the FAQ does). After the Protune you get 30 days to send it in again for a second chance revalve, some fancy PUSH-like stickers and 1 year of warranty as if the product was new.

Cost? 150 bucks.

Looks like they want to compete with PUSH Industries.

Discuss.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
yeah and I am supposed to trust them when I sent my DHX 5.0 into them for warrenty and paid extra to have it customed valved ran through and it was the same garbage

·
Registered
305 Posts
What tires go best with a protune?

I remember the video when this was first announced basically saying "We don't think anyone needs this, but since people are willing to pay for it we will take their money."

This video basically echoes that Fox doesn't think most people don't need custom work, just need to set their suspension up properly in the first place.

If you already have spare ti bolts, why not?

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
I am much more impressed by what Elka offers.
Buy a shock from Elka and they will custom valve and shim it for your weight, bike and riding style. You have 30 days to send it back in for a free retune if you are not happy with it.
This is included with every shock, no extra $150 needed.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
so now the idea is that they'll mass-produce their shocks to feel like crap and you'll pay them to have it 'custom valved'

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,877 Posts
saturnine said:
so now the idea is that they'll mass-produce their shocks to feel like crap and you'll pay them to have it 'custom valved'
No, that was always the idea.

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
Does the protune replace any parts? I'd rather send it to Push for that amount of money. Push replaces a lot of internal parts.

If they really wanted to compete, they would just offer the service from the beginning when you buy your bike or an aftermarket shock at no additional cost.

I agree with 1soulrider, Elka is doing it right.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, Elka and BOS pretty much nailed it. Oh and BTW, PUSH no longer tunes Marzocchi Roco, just checked their website and Marzocchi is gone. Weird huh?

They leave me no other choice than tinker with the Roco myself and/or buy an Elka :p

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
The stock valving in their forks, and rock shox for that matter, is damn good. Just because the stock tune is designed to cover a large consumer base doesn't mean it'll hold you back as a rider or ruin your bike ride. If it weren't for the fluff description and heavy pricetag, I'm willing to bet in a blind study, most riders wouldn't be able to effectively communicate the difference between a properly set up stock fork and a custom one. I'm willing to say 80% of the people who pay after-market tuners to customize their suspension a. didn't read their owners manual, b. don't know which adjustments to make when tuning their stock suspension, and c. are marketing victims in other aspects of their life as well. I've watched people send brand new suspension products out for service without even riding them. How can people notice a difference if they don't know what their suspension was doing before it left? Of course its going to feel better if all they ever did was put air in it and go! IMO Fox is actually on the ball with this program; as long as riders continue to prove the false notion that dollars spent increases ride enjoyment, Fox should tag them for it. A good deal is a state of mind.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
1soulrider said:
I am much more impressed by what Elka offers.
Buy a shock from Elka and they will custom valve and shim it for your weight, bike and riding style. You have 30 days to send it back in for a free retune if you are not happy with it.
This is included with every shock, no extra $150 needed.
very impressive:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
beefmagic said:
Does the protune replace any parts? I'd rather send it to Push for that amount of money. Push replaces a lot of internal parts.

If they really wanted to compete, they would just offer the service from the beginning when you buy your bike or an aftermarket shock at no additional cost.

I agree with 1soulrider, Elka is doing it right.
first never buy fox....second if you have one then send it to push

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
first never buy fox....second if you have one then send it to push
ha! I've had a few Fox shocks stock and Push'd. They're not terrible shocks, Push made them alot better, IME. I'm running an Avalanche now.

I'm curious about Elka, hearing alot of good things about them.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
Banshee Rider said:
The stock valving in their forks, and rock shox for that matter, is damn good. Just because the stock tune is designed to cover a large consumer base doesn't mean it'll hold you back as a rider or ruin your bike ride. If it weren't for the fluff description and heavy pricetag, I'm willing to bet in a blind study, most riders wouldn't be able to effectively communicate the difference between a properly set up stock fork and a custom one. I'm willing to say 80% of the people who pay after-market tuners to customize their suspension a. didn't read their owners manual, b. don't know which adjustments to make when tuning their stock suspension, and c. are marketing victims in other aspects of their life as well. I've watched people send brand new suspension products out for service without even riding them. How can people notice a difference if they don't know what their suspension was doing before it left? Of course its going to feel better if all they ever did was put air in it and go! IMO Fox is actually on the ball with this program; as long as riders continue to prove the false notion that dollars spent increases ride enjoyment, Fox should tag them for it. A good deal is a state of mind.
What he said, nothing to add there. :thumbsup:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,877 Posts
beefmagic said:
ha! I've had a few Fox shocks stock and Push'd. They're not terrible shocks, Push made them alot better, IME. I'm running an Avalanche now.

I'm curious about Elka, hearing alot of good things about them.
I think fox valving is intentionally set to not pass as much oil and spike more, that way they don't have metal-parts bashing against metal-parts. Fox only specs one bottom-out bumper and bottom-out-cup design, so with varying weight and agressiveness of riders they can't really valve it to pass that much oil, else they risk it self destructing. My avalanche shocks can pass a lot more oil on high-speed hits, allowing them to stay supple at speed, but they won't harshly bottom either due to decent low-speed and high-speed circuts combined with the proper amount of damping and bottom-out bumper design/durometer.

It's also difficult for me to set up a DHX 5.0 so that it's supple and resists excessive chassi-movement and pedaling bob. It seems you can either set it up with minimal damping and it's good at high speed, or increase the "low speed", but that also seems to turn the 'high speed" into a harsh ride, so it's difficult to come up with a good overall compramise. Differeing leverage rates, rider weights and so on may sometimes fall within the "magic area" where you do get good action, but again, in my experience the fox stuff is set up as the compramise explained above.

I've had 5 DHX 5.0s. Despite all the adjustments, it couldn't really make my Foes work all that much better. It was surely better than the curnutt, but the bike was still held back by the falling rate design and wheelpath. Fast forward a few bikes and DHXs to my 6-pack, where it was pretty darn good. It would still get overwhelmed at high speed in choppy terrain, that's where the Avalanche does much better, also the low-speed support is much better. The super-plush low-speed action of the DHX is great for climbing traction in nasty terrain, but it does lead to a lot of unwanted movement. The stock DHX on my highline was pretty crappy, it just didn't feel decent. I don't know if it was the leverage rate, but from the get-go it was a pretty poor performer. The Avalanche DHS does a far better job in every area.

I've never thought that the DHX was a bad shock (except the one that came on my highline), but it was meant to be an improvement over the 5th element, combining some of the progressive-damping benefits with the benefit of a shim-stack on the main piston and without the super-slow rebound top-out circut, it was a far better shock than the 5th, but due to it still relying on some of the same principles it won't feel quite as good as a shock like the RC4, which appears to use MX high/low valving that Avalanche has used for years.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,877 Posts
buckoW said:
None of you have tried the protune but you all know it sucks? .
Not that it "sucks", but I wouldn't get it over Push, because Push replaces the piston with a higher-flow unit rather than just "revalve" the shims, Push also revalves the shim-stack obviously, they modify other internal parts, such as the rebound. In the case of the MX tune the add the high/low circut from Avalanche, which would be akin to turning your DHX into a RC4, then tune the bottomout bumper with the correct durometer and shape, set the IFP height and pressure, etc. It's not that it "sucks", it's that Push already owns this market and they tune more parameters. Why go "halfway" when you get the entire deal?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.