Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been asked a bunch before but I was tinkering w/ my bike last night (2012 Trek Superfly AL 100 Pro) and was curious about how this mechanism worked. (FYI, I bought this bike from a friend, lightly used, about a week ago). Rear suspension if Fox RP23. (EDIT: sorry, picture got turned 90 degrees when I uploaded it for some reason).

photo (2).jpg

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

So, looking at the shock, if I flipped the lever to the RIGHT (away from the air valve) it would be in the PROPEDAL position.

If I flipped the lever to the LEFT (towards the air valve) it would be in the OPEN position.

The OPEN position is better for DH, while the PROPEDAL setting is made to firm up the rear suspension for climbs.

I suppose I'm a little confused b/c the diagram ON the actual shock (see pic) does not match up w/ the way the shock is labeled (i.e. there is no number "3" on the actual mechanism, while the shock diagram shows this #3 w/ the label "firm" while it is flipped (supposedly) to the OPEN position, based on the Fox Manual I found online.

Any ideas here? Am I completely off base? Just learning about my new bike...thanks for the help.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Fox has a few different iterations of their shocks.

On your's, if it is flipped towards the air valve, it is in the firmest position(sort of a lock out).

Flipped to the "pro-pedal direction" "0" is open and "1" and "2" are progressively more firm.

I set my sag on the open setting, flip the switch to pro-pedal 1 and never look at it again....lol....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah! I knew something wasn't sitting right w/ me. The current manuals on Fox don't match up with my version.

Thanks Bailey, this makes a lot of sense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts