Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to FS Mountain biking. Bought a used 2018 Trek ex8 with rear suspension of Fox Performance Float EVOL. Went off a 2ft drop today, heard a pop and all fluid dumped out of the rear shock. The compression switch handle (?) just flops around as there's no pressure left I guess. I've put 1600+ miles on bike this year and had rear shock serviced early Spring. Do you think I need to replace the seals or is the shock finished? Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just had the same experience with my Float DPS (though it was on an Intense Sniper). It was a broken damper shaft, as detailed in this thread: Fox Float shock shaft broken

Like you, the shock dumped all of the oil out and the compression and rebound knobs no longer worked. Had to get mine fully rebuilt for about $180, which included the shaft, a full seal kit, and labor.

Hoping that I get a long service interval out of this rebuild, but will probably buy a Mara inline if this happens again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same bike and the same thing happen (damper shaft broke going over a modest drop). Fortunately the bike was still under warranty and the repair was covered. I sold the bike a few months later so can’t comment on whether it was a one-off.

It seems to be a very common failure for the DPS and those Fuels. I do recall the shock mount bushings being pretty stiff on that bike. Not sure if that could have in any way contributed. Perhaps a combination of the shaft being on the design limits, and any imperfection with the mounting of the shock leading to loadings outside what fox had allowed for…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.